Thursday, July 07, 2011

Blogging Challenge (Day 4): Claiming back the day

6:45am: The haze of previously consumed antihistamines make waking up harder than usual, but even through this drug-induced mist I remember.

It’s your birthday today.

8:15am: Find myself going back and forth on whether to acknowledge the day, after all, we haven’t been a “we” for a long time now. Thoughts ricochet across different scenarios and options, I leave for work undecided.

“This really shouldn’t take up so much of my thought process”, I chastise myself, “After all, I can’t let a simple day hold me hostage.”

9:00am – 11:45am: Manage to successfully distract myself and plough through detailed “to-do” list. Who would have thought avoidance could be the cure to my long suffering bout of procrastination (wonders never cease).

Lunch spent with a good friend from work involves lots of laughter and thought provoking discussion over chicken curry and rice.

You don’t cross my mind.

1:00pm – 2:00pm: Participate in some corporate jibber jabber in an office boardroom, secretly wishing for time to speed-up so I can move on to the workshop that follows it.

2:00pm – 5:35pm: Get my mind blown away, in a very good way, during my workshop. Find myself brainstorming and planning with excitement the year ahead. Can’t believe how a day that started so apprehensively could flip on its head like this.

Walk out of workshop eager to apply the teachings and tips that were communicated.

6:00pm – 7:00pm: Still too excited after workshop and find myself bouncing ideas with good friend from work. Walk out of the office with a bounce in my step.

The world feels alive with possibilities.

8:00pm: Send him through birthday email. There’s no beef, our good times far outstrip the bad. Seems silly to have worked myself into a panic in the morning (I blame those antihistamines, loll)

8:04pm: His email response arrives. I smile and respond.

8:06pm: His last email arrives. “Well that was quite simple”, I tell myself and get on with the rest of my night, quite happily.

Moral of the story: Each day is your own and every person has the choice to use it constructively or to be held hostage in it.

I claim back this day and realise that it had always been mine in the first place.

6 comments:

Shamilicious said...

love that!!!!!!!

kookie said...

*HAND CLAPS* Bravo chica! Its great you have taken the day back because its just another day innit?

You can take time out to acknowledge part of it but to be held hostage to it is another story altogether and I'm glad you chose to steer the ship elsewhere.

Rebirth said...

Yaaay! loved this message..... we determine how our day will turn out and not someone else.....

Vimbai said...

@Shami: Ah thanks hun.

@Kooks: *curtsies* Sometimes I do actually understand Life's little lessons, the rest of the time i'm on some WTF?

Rebirth: It's in the mind baby, all in the mind.

QuirkyKoso said...

love this!
it is YOUR day, great you claimed it right back. :-)

Vimbai said...

@QuirkyKoso: Hey girl, heard you're joining us on this blogging challene, yay!