Friday, September 17, 2010

How to give yourself away in 30 seconds!


First impressions are extremely deceiving. I don't know about you but i usually need to go in for a third or fourth opinion, at the very least, before i can gauge a semblance of a person's true colours. Once in a while i get it right the first time round, very rarely so though.

Thing is, third and fourth encounters usually take time to reach and we all know that time isn't something we all have a lot of, right? So how do we fast-track this "getting to know you" process....why, play a board game or a card game with the person under scrutiny of course.

Playing board games or card games strips most individuals of pleasantries and reveals what lies below their social facade. You learn whether some is competitive or not, a good sport or not, intelligent/creative or not, honest or otherwise...studying individuals while they play a board or card game is social anthropology at its best and here's why:

30 Seconds

I have guy friends who, believing themselves to be intellectually superior individuals, use this particular board game to determine whether there can be a future with their current "lust interest." One Friday i was invited to witness one of these vetting scenarios under the guise of a Game's Night. Now one of the lads had brought along his current lust interest (lets call her X) a very good-looking chick, who he was very proudly flaunting in front of all and sundry.

Before we knew it, it was game time and the stakes where high. Never had I played amongst such a competitive bunch. Tempers were high, insults where being hurled back and forth and there wasn't a shortage of laughter, at the expense of others.

The most laughter was generated unintentionally by X. I sh*t you not, i still find myself laughing at this chick's ignorance:

Example 1:

X's clue description: "It was a time of exorcism...yes, exorcism of demons."

Team's incorrect responses: The Exorcism, Village of the Damned...

What X had been trying to describe: The Holocaust.

Example 2:

X's clue description: "It's a landmark in London."

Team's incorrect responses: Big Ben, The London Eye, The Tower of London, Trafalgar Square...heck Stonehenge was tossed in there.

What X had been trying to describe: The Eiffle Tower.

People where *dead* around the table, especially my mate who minutes earlier had been looking at X adoringly. Now his expression resembled that of a man who was frantically in search of a rock to crawl under.

Moral of the story - Today's lust interest, may be tomorrow's baby mamma/life mate...meaning she may have to sit and do homework with your little ones, pick wisely...play a game of 30 seconds ;-)

There are so many other games i could name that reveal tthe baser traits of the average human being, such as :

Texas Hold 'Em Poker : Beg, borrow or steal poker chips till you make it...whatever it takes. The real gamblers and strategists rear their heads in this game.

Scrabble: Not reading enough, we'll find out sooner rather than later, not to mention that the Chancers come out in their hordes (there's no such word as hajard!)

Crazy Eight: The first part of this game's name provides some insight into the side-affects of playing it. Noone playing ever has the same rules with regard to what cards count for what. A lot of cussing ensues and even world leaders are looking at getting it banned, just to maintain the peace within households.

Holla in the comments memorable moments when playing board/card games with friends and family....i suspect there are quite a few gems out there.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Happy weekend chickens! May the force be with you :-)

Love,

V x

13 comments:

Sarai said...

Tjo tjo tjo - this chick was dense hey? But you've given me a great idea - although my game would probably be some hardcore underground RPG like Carcassonne or Agricola. If they have even heard of them, they are automatically considered for the running. If not, let the games begin and let the best person win... I'm bloodthirsty...

Holla!

Karanga Chic said...

*DEAD* At"yes exorcism of demons". Maihwe!!!!!! Vimbai why do you have to do this to me at work. Wow just wow at least tell me chick was not Zimbabwean. Your friend should have done the pre vetting, you know the travel questions, the history discussion, politics and religion, before anyadziswa kudaro LMAO!! I play cribbage with the bf and the inlaw, everyone has to be drinking and the insults get hurled back and forth. It's super competitive(who knew cribbage was that much fun) but you know I see a side of my MIL and FIL that I never see the fun, crazy side. I completely agree that you can tell a person's true colours by playing a board game.

sirnige.com said...

LOL - you are so funny...interesting scribe tho.Board games will never be the same again - I tell you. I'll be on the look out for suspect individuals now!!!I admit I am now VERY grateful to the folks for forcing us to play games like Scrabble et al.(Thanks Mum)LOL

Funms-the rebirth said...

LOL @ landmark in london

Dumb much?
You have just given me a great idea....operation game night in progress.....

How are you darling?

kookie said...

I remember plying board games with my housemates in uni when we were too broke to go drinking lol

Crazy eight literally brought out the crazy in people. Lying, cheating, stealing and hiding cards ...making up rules as they went along. We were all so competitive that we couldn't play crazy 8's often because more likely than not we wouldn't speak to each other for a few days after. SMH

I remember my dd getting the board game operation because he wanted to nurture the ambitions he held for me to be a doctor when I was older. I was rubbish at it and my patient probably died a thousand deaths before he got the picture that surgeon I would never be but I defended myself so well every time he knew I had a career in law.

As to your posting this blog without adequate forewarning...a voice note awaits your ears smh.

Mbozha Me said...

Games are the best, your guard is down and you don't realise what you've done till its too late.

I remember playing charades with friends, the screaming, laughing, jeering esp. from the people who are usually quite reserved was priceless.

So is your friend still with his dense chick??

Shona Vixen said...

Lol @ exorcism of demons!!!Vimbai ka!!this is on Dow Jones level!!
I'm all up for board games and all...

Vimbai said...

@Sarai: Without being cruel, yes chick was a dense as the thick undergrowth found in the over-crowded swamps of the Okavango Delta.

And yes, you are a bloodthirsty wench ;-)

@KarangaChic: First things first, ze dense chick was not Zimbabwean *phew*.

Kudos at having the courage to play board/card games with the bf...and still live to tell the tale. If you can survive this, then you're good for life.

@Nigel: Your mum is a wise woman, she prepped you for the politics of life by getting you to play Scrabble.

In my house, Scrabble is a staple favourite (comes in handy when the power/ZESA goes - it's a candlelight friendly game).

@Funms: I'm good sweets! So have you executed operation "Games Night" yet?

If brother-man passes the intellectual first round on Scrabble or 30 Seconds...he can be rewarded with a round of Twister where you can accidentally-on-purpose get up close & personal *wink*

@Kooks: Your Dad was a visionary from the get go! Eish and you're getting me nostalgic about varsity student days, when money was low but creativity was high.

Just tell me this, in your Crazy Eight rules do you have Jack Reverse Advantage and Jack Reverse Forever? And do you recognise that the King cards are "Captain play twice"...

PS Your voicenote scared me...i will notify you of all blog postings going forward m'am.

@Mbozha: Reserved people always end up being the loudest ones...they need a bit of time (read: lots of liquuor) to warm up...dark horses those ones.

Thanks for leaving a comment, don't think i've seen your name here before. Oh and NO my friend dropped that knowledge-challenged girl faster than you can say "there goes Usain Bolt".

Vimbai said...

@Shona: Definitely on a "Dow Jones" level.

Btw readers, our girl Shona here attended a party where a rather ignorant lady declared to the horror of all around, "Who is Dow Jones?". Suffice to say, Dow Jones has now been personified, along with his brother Nasdeq!

*Disclaimer: I am not exactly devoid of my own "Dow Jones" moments...but i think you have all laughed enough for this week...i will unlease my gems one day.

Until then, those scenarios will be used as forms of blackmail by siblings and loved ones *kmt*

afriquanwoman said...

Makadii madam. I really enjoyed your post, it was so hilarious, poor Ms X. Your post and Ms X gave me some food for thought, I had so much to say about her that I created a new blog post. Please do not take my views as criticism of your post, I thought it was lovely in that it sparked some thoughts. You are welcome to read them here.
http://afriquanwoman.wordpress.com/2010/10/02/what-is-it-like-to-be-ms-x/

Please let me know if you would like me to reomve the link to your blog.

One last thought, have you ever tried the board game called "sequence"? Very good for a board game of teamwork, boys vs girls etc.

Anonymous said...

i would say first impressions count. Always trust your first instict. http://allthatisfab.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Gospel Girl said...

Vimba ka iwe, You had me in stitches...loved this. Am now following your blog, it's cool!