Monday, December 14, 2009

All Black Everything & 2009 Recap...

Neyo declared 2008 the Year of the Gentleman, although the stats are still out as to whether that year lived up to its name.

I was trying to figure out what the mainstream theme for this year would be?

So we had the whole recession business in full swing, which was challenging at best. It got me thinking that the better part of the year was spent in a state of mourning so to speak...and well, this topic has been exhausted and done to death. So i went in search of another theme...and the one that sprung into mind was Black Men.

No one year has been dominated by the actions and antics of black men like this since the respective years that involved OJ and MJ's trial. Think about it:


  • The Good - January 2009: Obama gets into office. That was and still is a pretty big deal. A man of colour is the leader of the free world. A black first family inhabiting The White House and proving that The Cosby Show was merely a precursor of all the good things to come. Yes, Obama will have his critics who will claim he aint done sh*t and is just a talker blah-blah, but it all comes with the territory. Barack, keep keeping on!

  • The Bad - June 2009: Wow, i'm still reeling from the shock.The King of Pop is dead and the world is a sadder place 'cause of it. Yes, MJ wasn't without his eccentries and errrr dubious behaviour, but it was his music and passion that we will remember him most for. Sleep easy big guy.

  • The Eish - December 2009: Black man down, black man down. Now we know nobody's infallible but Tigere Musango (Tiger Woods to the rest of you) sure did wind up on many a person's pedestal, mine included, and sadly the truth is out...he's just as fallible as the rest of us. Granted, he took whoring a whole new level and didn't include a sista of colour in the mix, but hey, to each his own...right.

    The moral of the story....too much money will make you lose your damn mind each and every time!

Holla in the comments what you think the biggest recurring theme was for 2009?
----------------------------------------------------------


As a fond writer of lists, i would like to share with you some of my favourite things from over the past year. I know i've probably missed out some monumental things and people, but bear with me...it's my last day at work and my mind is so not here.

So here they are, in no particular order or ranking:


  • Twitter: What do you do when you can't sleep and it's an indecent time of the hour to be calling the people you love? Go on twitter of course! I love Twitter, i love it so much that i've forsaken Facebook in favour of twitterville. It's voyeurism with limits...it's wit in 140 characters...it's sublime. It's kept me amused for the better part of the year and i would be a sadder person without it. If you aren't on it...what are you waiting for?

    Follow me @VimfromZim

  • The Twilight Series: Not since the adventures of Harry Pot-head and gang has a book series sent me into a state of reclusion. I was a true sceptic when my sister recommended i give Twilight a read. She lost me when her opening description was, "It's a lovestory involving a vampire and a girl....". Luckily, i was very bored one day and decided to give it a go. Suffice to say that within 2 weeks i'd cruised through all 4 books and was a believer.

    Most hilarious summary i've read about Twilight: "It can best be summed up as a tale about a girl who can't decide whether she's into necrophilia or bestiality."

  • John Mayer: If you don't know how into JM i am by now, then you clearly haven't been reading this blog that long. How has JM influenced my life in 2009 you ask? Well, his hilarious tweets on Twitter make my day and his music gets me through the most hellish weeks with a smile. I would say more, but i have a feeling that Shona is rolling her eyes as she reads this, hehehe.

  • Blueprint 3: Arguably one of the best albums dropped this year by my main man Shawn. This album is so witty...so conceited...so brilliant...so entertaining...so everything. My favourite track off of it is "Already Home", for a man who can boast one of the most solid careers and empire in entertainment, this song is his "piece de resistance":
    "so in summation I don't know who you racing
    I'm already at the finish line with the flag waving"

  • Blogville: There was a time, not so long ago, when i would blog and know that i was probably the only person (aside from well-meaning siblings) who actually read what i wrote, lol. Those were interesting days indeed, nothing like talking to yourself. This year i've felt the strongest feeling of community within blogville from all you regular readers and commentors. Your blogs and comments make my day and add to my world in a way that i wouldn't have believed possible when i started this gig!

    Big Thank You chickens *big kiss*

  • Challenging Situations: Yeezy sung it best when he declared, "That that doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger." Yes siree, there have been moments...months even, when it was hard to find the joy and delight in life. The first few months of this year were gruelling and uncomfortable. I never want to go back to that place again. The greatest thing to take away from such situations is, as Maya Angelou famously proclaimed, "And still i stand".

  • A-ha Moments: Following from "challenging situations", the dawn does return and in its wake showers us in self-affirming realisations. We realise what our priorities are meant to be, where our passions lie and our life paths.

  • Nigerian Music: So i need to brush up on my non-existant Yoruba to understand all the slang and phrases thrown out once in a while, but where would i be without my Naija beats...more specifially where would i be without Wande Coal and M.I. (Mr Incredible) to get me through jozi traffic in the morning? Nowhere, that's where!

    If you don't know what or who i am talking about...well, you better ask somebody!

  • Blackberry: My beloved Samsung x820, formerly known as "Ella" died on me multiple times over the year. We had so much history i found it impossible to let go. I even resorted to taping her up in sellotape (much to dismay of friends and colleagues) to preserve her. However, the time did come to send her to Cellphone Heaven and replace my beloved Ella. Her replacement came in the form of my swanky Blackberry. How do i love my BB? Let me count the ways. My BB still remains without a name...but i figure i will have one within the new year...a strong masculine name, any suggestions?

  • Talons: For years i wished i could sport the manicured talons that most of my friends and family have. However, with my penchant to gnaw at mine, that dream was a thing of the past...except, that it wasn't. Who knows where i got the willpower from, but one day i decide to stop gnawing and not give into my "nervous conditions". Two months later i am the proud owner of gel-overlayed talons. For a habitual nail biter for the last 20 odd years, i am so proud to have kicked this habit and have pretty hands, yay!

  • V is for.....: Ummmm yah, nuff said.

  • Parkhurst: If you are in the greater Gauteng area, Johannesburg to be exact, make your way to 4th Avenue in Parkhurst for ambiance and sumptious food. I love this neighbourhood, its my sliver of Cape Town in Jozi....mmmmmh, sundowners anyone?

  • Taylor Swift: In competition with Jigga's "Blueprint 3" album is...*big gulp* Taylor Swift's "Fearless" album. There i said it! It's good, real good! There are those that argue that Yeezy dragged Ms Swift from obscruity at that infamous VMA or was it AMA award ceremony, but this chick was already on my radar. She's made me like country music...that's a big thing.

  • French Knickers: Love them, happy that i traded my thongs in for them. It's the little things in life :-)

  • Mr Price: R50 sandals! You had me at KA-CHING! Nuff said.

  • Love. Love, Love : Now where would be without a little love in our lives from the most unlikely sources. "I believe in a thing called love, just listen to the rhythm of my heart." Can i get an Amen?

Please holla your favourite things and/or people from 2009 in the comments ... come on, i know you want to *big wink*

--------------------------------------------------

What's the word chickens? 3 days till i'm homeward bound into Bob's country, i can't wait! Festivities are underway and i'm literally counting down the days and hours till i'm on holiday.

It's not likely i will submit another post by the year's end, so i'm gonna wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! If Christmas ain't your thing, then Happy Holidays to you!

Let us remember the lessons learnt over the past year and the happiness shared.

Catch you on the other side chickens!

Lotsa love and hugs,

V x

19 comments:

My Bestfriend's Little Sister(MBLS) said...

LMAO Tigere Musango! I also wasn't so impressed that out of his plethora of small houses that not one of them was a sista! Haiwa! Bodo! No!

ShonaVixen said...

John Mayer???Vimbai I thought our friendship was blossoming but then you go mentioning that name!! Bad enough m still having recurring nightmares after getting his cd for Funms...i'll come back when I can handle reading his name...

Vimbai said...

@MBLS: You know! What happened to Equal Opportunity whoring? That one ka, *smh*.

@Shona: Sha but i didn't wax as lyrical as i intended to. COme back Shona, the worst is over, lol.

TayneMent said...

Yes indeed I love my BB and I am glad I decided to get one. Taylor swift's album was pretty good, I do wonder what makes her country and not pop like everyone else, because that is not a traditional country album.

ShonaVixen said...

Well...guess I can pretend I dont see that name that shall not be spoken and the album that shall not be mentioned!
I have a love-hate relationship with Twitter!
Blackberry - Ooooh I love my Berry and m hoping Santa will get me an iphone for Xmas (yes I want to have both!'
Love,Love, LOVE - need I say more on this one???
Nigerian Music - Would it be bragging to say I know M.I.?
Obama - recently got a book called 'Obama's Blackberry'...hilarious!
2009 was a year of GREAT friendships both real and virtual for me, this taught me that its not how long you've known some-one but who they are that matters!!
I learnt to keep my faith because there were times I thought God had to be playing jokes on me...
Black sports personalities had me shaking my head this year - Lamar Odom,MarlonKing,Shaq etc...

Tidi_davidzo said...

Tiger said that he wasnt black so we will deny him too. He was like im not black im coblanasion....so i hope his fellow cloblanasions have his back in his time of need.

greedsouth said...

Good blog, the kind of blog that made me get off the couch write a blog post. Keep on keeping on

Anonymous said...

@shona @vim: cummon now, what's wrong with brothers showin' the blondies some luv? blondes need them some brovva man-beef too ...lol don't tell me that the al sharpton bug has bitten you?

i dont get it with the twitter thing.
sekuru vaTawanda

Anonymous said...

Why are people so upset Tiger didn't cheat on his wife with a sistah?? I think it shows two things:

- Probably because of having experienced enough BS from Black men, any sistahs that were approached probably knew to stay the hell away :-)

- They were spared exposure (both to STIs and to a ruthless media hunting down Tiger's whores (real or socially considered).

You can't please people! Had all the women been sistahs there would have been an outrage and it would have been another example of how much of a disgrace the black community is.

And why would he be expected to be into Black women anyhow? His father was biracial and also only married/slept with Caucasian women. Tiger himself is biracial. Tiger has lived and breathed golf since he was 18months old - how many Black folk do you see on a golf course?? What in his world would make him the Blackest black guy around town? - NADA. If he likes the blonds, let him have the blonds. If I'm honest, all of them included his wife were below par in the looks department anyway (no pun intended).

Vimbai said...

@TayneMent: Welcome! So you bring up a valid point...thing is, on her album the chart-topper songs have a very distinct blue-grass/country flavour than the radio/video version of those songs...mmmh.

@Shona: Glad you made it back :-) An I-phone AND a BB, inga, lets hope Santa or "somebody" comes through. You know MI, no way, how cool, tell me more!

i concur that this was the year of great friendships, here here!

@Tidi: coblanasion....ah yah, people love to split hairs. Just how many coblanasion are there roaming the earth?

@Greedsouth: Mucho gracias, thanks for stopping by! Will definitely pay your blog a visit.

@Sekuru: Sharpie hit the nail on the head, in a very long, convoluted and rather contradictory ramble. I guess blondes need love too...*pout*

@Anonymous: Well placed pun there, very nicely done. Given that its Aids Awareness Month, indeed we should be grateful that all sisters were spared exposure to the virus and whatever else Tiger and his harem where swapping.

How many black people do i see on the golf course. Professionally not so many, but amateurishly...PLENTY! Bottomline, he wasn't raised white all he does is play a white sport. I could counter-act your argument by using the Williams sisters. They've been playing tennis since they could walk...a "white" sport, granted they aren't biracial but at the end of the day, they know where they come from and their roots. Fullstop.

Hadassah said...

tiger closed the year 2009 with some good scandal.

Shona said...

Kanye West deserves a 2009 mention!

zimchic said...

Vimbai you crack me up re: Your Man Shawn- girl you are so crazy. I swear that is the coolest thing I have heard a female say all week. I read it to my boyfriend and he almost 'released' himself at the thought of a woman who actually listened to and appreciated lyrics. Oh man..I should look and learn

zimchic said...

Oh wow..who is gonna translate this?

Vimbai said...

@Hadassah: Tiger a-makisa! LOL.

Shona: For real...and that Chris Brown fella....okay, aside from Barack Obama did any other high profile black male do anything note worthy???

Zimchic: Shamwari, i am so lyrically orientated it drives people around me crazy. Yes, i appreciate the beat but the true beauty lies in the words. LMAO @ your boyf releasing himself, lol.

PS No translation needed, SPAM can be smelt from miles away! Can you say DELETE>

Vimbai said...

Random Aside: Does anyone else feel like they've put on like 5kgs this festive season????

And how's this for "holiday mode"...it's midday and i'm still in my pj's (complete with dhuku item) having had my 3rd serving of brunch, reflecting on why my everyday life can't be more like this :-)

Hope you're all great chickens.

Much love from the Sunshine City!

My Bestfriend's Little Sister(MBLS) said...

@ Vimbai, i'm the same I have feel like my diet has completely gone to the dogs. For the last two days my family and I haven't left the house and have been bumming around in our pyjamas and eating Christmas left overs!

Asia said...

Happy new year Vimbai!

Thank you for the entertainment and the crazy. :)))

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.