Friday, August 07, 2009

I'm Every Woman

"I'm a black ocean,
leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling
I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise."

Maya Angelou

Happy Woman's Day to all the lovely ladies on blogville and in the world-at-large for this Sunday!

I was mulling over what angle to come from with this post? Trying to define what makes a woman a woman is complex in itself, kinda like women (yah, i said it!). Whitney Houston's song, "I'm Every Woman" kept coming to mind and the lyrics kept jumping out at me, especially when she declares, "It's all in meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

I believe to celebrate women is to celebrate life.

I am sitting in the office looking around and realise that the 30-odd people surrounding me (eish, open plan offices) are all here because some 30-odd womenout there spent a good few hours in lots of pain to bring them into the world.

These same people have had grandmothers, mothers, sisters, daughters, girlfriends, wives/partners shape their lives on some level.

A woman wears a lot of hats, she is the care-giver, the teacher, the nurturer, the discplinarian, the comforter, the muse, the care-taker, the jester...our roles are endless.

Share in the comments your thoughts on what characteristics and traits (aside from the *ahem* obvious) make a woman, a woman in your opinion.

"This is a man's world
This is a man's world
But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing
Without a woman or a girl."

James Brown

-------------------------------------------

AWESOMENESS: Did Neil Patrick Harris know what he had created when he adopted the role of Barry Stinson in the show How I Met Your Mother? Not since the days of Steve McQueen has an openly gay actor portrayed a voracious heterosexual male with the libido of a harpy and the likeability of a Girl Scout. So loved is this fictional character that this coming Thursday, 13th August 2009, marks “International Suit Up” day in his honour.

For some AWESOME Barney quotes, check out my boy Lulu’s recent blog post that quotes some of Mr Stinson’s hilarious and more famous, one-liners.

Don’t know what I am talking about? Cleary you have been living under a rock…so do yourself a favour, get hold of Season 1 – 4 and enjoy the goodness.

PS I could totally date Ted in HIMYM…am just saying :-)

-----------------------------------------------------

Have a fabuloso weekend chickens celebrating; the woman that you are, the women in your life, the women that raised you, the women that inspire and the women that challenge you.

Love,

V x

13 comments:

K said...

Ok first off Barney is GAY??? whaaat!

Secondly I love HIMYM... rules to pass on to your kids from that show ...the lemon law & nothing good happens after 2am

I look at my mother and I see what a woman should be cliche/corny but true. Do what's right for you & your loved ones, have integrity, love and I guess having an internal strength.

*Im sad and just about rocking in a corner singing lullaby's because no matter how many times I refresh my page twitter is acting up*

Vimbai said...

Ooops, yes K, Neil Patrick Harris former Doogie Howser is Gay...and FABULOUS! That's why i find it hilarious that he plays the man-whore to a tee!

I am currently consulting at a client where one of the employees believes he's Africa's answer to Barry Stinson. My lunchtime are filled with "I could get that chick who walked past so easy" conversations, eish.

Your mum doesn't play shamwari! I love it, tell her that i have very profound respect for her and her rules and i don't even know her. I want to be her too when i grow up :-)

Twitter has been acting up since yesterday, i don't understand! Go onto FB to distract...i know its not the same, but it's a start.

Lu said...

Barney is just awesome. Like really, I have actually thought about suiting up a couple of times.

Vimbai said...

Lu, why are you lying! You HAVE suited up, i don't know when and i don't know where...but my spidey senses are telling me that you've participated in this Stinson tradition.

I need to get my hands on the Bro-code, lol, i know it will be Legend- wait for it-DARY!

munhu said...

apparently twitter suffered a hack yesterday and I imagine they are trying to fix it...perhaps...all i know is that i moss Twitter something massive !!! As for Barney I must apologise to evidently find myself in the company of his afficiandos while I do not quite get what the fuss is all about. He is gay though. As is one of the Teletubbies !!!

ShonaVixen said...

Doogie Howser is GAY???My childhood husband...sigh...
Nothing good happens after 2am!!

K said...

totally unrelated but you NEED to listen to Goapele- Milk & Honey.. its the song stalking me

Lu said...

So maybe i have suited up. But one thing i can safely say though, the naked man doesnt work. Lol. Twitter is just being gay. Its working online but not on my phone..am freaking out

zimchic said...

Wait Shona- "Doogie Howser is GAY???My childhood husband...sigh"

-LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the saddest and yet funniest thing I have heard in a long time...Need to go pee!! Even at that age I am sure I knew he was, even though I did not understand what that was.

Vimbai I totally am addicted to those shows on TV that chronicle the baby story to birth and I think it really makes me realise women are truly awesome!!

Vimbai said...

@munhu: Haaaaa, Barney is uber cool mheni! As for Tinky-winky, the purple teletubbie with a handbag, ummmm yah, hameno/i don't know bout that. I am a La-la fan all the way!

@Shona: I get the feeling you just lost some childhood innoncence on my blog...ooops.

@Lu: The naked man, haaaaaaaaaaaa, that would never work unless you were square to some FOINE specimen of a man, not that wack dude that Robyn ended up with!

Oh and i think Twitter is now fixed, i was getting separation anxiety too coz of the fact it wasn't working on phones.

@Zimchic: Those birth shows are amazing except when they get to the actual birth scene, then my legs are crossed up tight and i am peering through my fingers!

PS How was your pee, lol?

Hadassah said...

Wow lol Barney is gay for real?

zimchic said...

Vimbai...my pee was a great relief. As for the shows the worst ones are the ones with the front row seat- oh man!

Vimbai said...

@Hadassah: LOL, i know this is a majorly delayed response...but ummm, jah hey chica, he is.

@Zimchic: Front row seats? You mean actually watch while the birthing is going down in real time. Eish, i would probably pass out mate!