Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Night Poetry XIV


Flipping through some poetry books i came across Roger McGough's poem, "Contact Lenses". As a contact lense wearer, i find it amusing as i find i straddle two worlds: one of crystal clear clarity and the other of blurry oblivousness.

I loved the play on words with scintillate and "sin till late" in Roger's second poem that i selected. As someone who had a late nite and early morning in the club (again), i can completely commiserate with the fact that the body isn't as youthful as it used to be. No more closing down the club at 6am for me :-)

And the last poem by Stevie Smith reminded me of a time of youthful bliss and carefree romanticism.

Please feel free to share any poems that you love, i am always on the hunt for new material to read and dissect.

Enjoy,

V x

------------------------------------------------


Contact Lenses

Somenights
she leaves them in
until after they have made love.
She likes to see clearly
the lines and curves of bodies.
To watch his eyes, his mouth.
Somenights she enjoys that.

Othernights
when taken by the mood
she takes them out before
and abandons herself
to her blurred stranger.
Other senses compete to compensate.
Without lenses, blindly accepts her fate.

Roger McGough

--------------------------------------

Scintillate

I have outlived
my youthfulness
so a quiet life for me

where once
i used to
scintillate

now i sin
till ten
past three.

Roger McGough

-----------------------------------

Conviction

I like to get off with people
I like to lie in their arms.
I like to be held and tightly kissed.
Safe from all alarms.

I like to laugh and be happy
With a beautiful beautiful kiss.
I tell you, in all the world
There is no bliss like this.

Stevie Smith

4 comments:

Super star! said...

Im going to find myself a girl
Who can show me what laughter means
And well fill in the missing colors
In each others paint-by-number dreams
And then well put out dark glasses on
And well make love until our strength is gone
And when the morning light comes streaming in
Well get up and do it again
Get it up again

Im going to be a happy idiot
And struggle for the legal tender
Where the ads take aim and lay their claim
To the heart and the soul of the spender
And believe in whatever may lie
In those things that money can buy
Thought true love could have been a contender
Are you there?
Say a prayer for the pretender
Who started out so young and strong
Only to surrender

J Browne

Super star! said...

To blow yo mind off!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1GtBpIORJY

Vimbai said...

Fantastic poem! Thanks Super :-)

Anonymous said...

You own the talent of brilliant writing I must confess. Your posts incorporates the reality which we cannot even get it anywhere else. I request you humbly please keep such brilliant contents.And yes i have digg your site vimfromzim.blogspot.com .