Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Unbearable Lightness of Being...Yourself

The nominated read for my bookclub for the next 5 weeks is Milan Kundera's novel, "The Unbearable Lightness of Being." I vaguely remember watching the 1988 film adaption at a very impressionable age because all i remember of the flick is that there was a dodgy s*x scene and everything looked gloomy. I am praying the movie lives up to its hype, because nobody seems to have a bad thing to say about this book.

Have any of you read it?

Anywho, the reason i named this post after the book is because i totally identify with the sentiment behind the book's title. I haven't read the book, but i would like to think that it addresses the hardships faced in maintaining a sense of individualism and self in a world where conforming is the name of the game.

I am currently the embodiment of the term, "The Young and The Restless". More than ever, i feel a calling to do my own thing, break out, break away...take the road less travelled. Thing is, the great unknown is scarying me sh*tless...i have got too comfortable in my 9 - 5 routine and my lovely corporate title and big name i work for, although in the same breath, these are the very things that are making me miserable and killing me softly (and i'm not even a Fugee).

The analogy i give friends and family is that i'm desperate housewife stuck in a loveless marriage that doesn't make any sense anymore but i've got so used to the trappings that come with it, that i am actually thinking twice about leaving.

So when am i gonna grow a pair and leave this charade is the big question...*sigh*?

Anyone have any advice for me? I'm all over the place right about now and any insight would be greatly appreciated?

----------------------------------------------------
The Naming Game: Okay this is a bit random but i don't understand people who name their child before the child is actually born? A woman can be 6 months pregnant and her and her significant other have already dubbed that child "So-and-So The Fourth".

Maybe its the superstitious African in me but i don't believe that any child should be named until they've popped out of the womb, are breathing and we can get a good look at who we are dealing with here.

Make the name lists (heck i have those and i'm nowhere near popping out a sprog) but until that miracle comes full circle, hold back on naming the kid.
What do you think about this?
-----------------------------------------
Twitter's War of Words: Did you guys catch the volley match between Perez Hilton and John Mayer on Twitter, twas priceless! Firstly, does it make any sense that Perez Hilton tweets to his fans to call the police 'cause Will.I.Am has socked-it to him, inside of just dialling 911 on his own? Then he proceeds to play the victim although by the sounds of it, he instigated the attack...eish.

Can you say DRAMA?

Poor John, he tried to school Perez but sadly, fools seldom listen, lol.

John 1 - Perez 0

Chuckles: I was sent this picture in an email titled, 'The Milkman's Child" - it had me in stitches :-)


Happy Hump Day Chickens
Love,
V x

16 comments:

Melanie Lytle said...

I myself have been suffering such a crisis. You need to read Chris Guillebeau's manifesto: http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/a-brief-guide-to-world-domination/

Vimbai said...

Thanks Melsie :-) Good to know i'm not alone!

Have download, printed and stapled Chris Guillebeau's manifesto...it's gonna be tonight's bedtime reading. Here's hoping i get some answers :-)

K said...

I wanted to do a blog a long time ago on the whole phenomenon I see in our generation that have this young and the restless in them. We are the people who are more often than not abandoning parental ideas of sticking to the one job forever & making it work. Anyone born after 1980 is either doomed/blessed to seek more than they have. I seem to notice that after 25 it becomes worse especially if you haven't found your calling. I know girls who are studying law (5yrs), sitting to pass the bar (2yrs) working in a firm (3yrs) and then returning to school because they remembered they like teaching/journalism/finance.... So my advice is having chucked over the legal career to return to school to pursue my idealistic save the world ambitions I feel way happier than I did when I was putting in 9-5 in my black suit and heels.

Ahhh definitely blogging on this, this post is essay like already!

Vimbai said...

Apa wataura K (You speak the truth!). I look forward to your blog post on this!

The question is, are those of us born after 1980 being a little unrealistic about what we want to get outta life or are spot-on?

Our parents came from a "play-it-safe" generation, so they'll never understand why anyone would want to divert from the usual Doctor/Lawyer/Accountant route. They don't understand about things like self-actualisation - they believe we are a spoilt and indulged generation that's watched waaaay too much TV, lol.

Lily Allen's song "The Fear" sums it up fabulously!

"I don't know what's right and what's real anymore
I don't know how we're meant to feel anymore
When do you think it will all become clear
'Cuz I'm being taken over by The Fear."

ShonaVixen said...

Vimbai you speak the TRUTH mwana wamai!!
I'm studying where my passion lies and the diversity of it means i can enter any field I want! I remember how my parents couldnt understand when I took up Tourism and Business Studies as my career path BUT at that time in my life that's all I wanted, and work in the Tourism/Hospitality sector I did till the love died, I left!
Right now, I'm chasing my dreams, am I scared heck yeah I am BUT I look back and being almost the big 30 in August, I'm proud of the choices I'm taking and making for myself..my parents are so used to it now (et only daughter power comes to play too..lol)
One of my friends says to 'We cant be working 9-5 when we are 40, so we have to make this decade count!' and he's right...
Nhai am I making sense @ all??
I had to follow John Mayer and Perez just for that drama, but me thinks their time is up..both of them!!
The picture hilarious and well I have a thing about Meerkats...there's an advert wiv a Meerkat that gets on my nerves...arrrrrgh....
Ooops sorry Vimbai, dont mean to be screaming up in here..lol!
Hmm naming the baby...a list of names is ok, one of my close friends is pregnant, its a girl and we're calling her Bambina well she'd named her Laria but then changed her mind after i reminded her we knew one certain Laria..LOL..so for now its just Bambina or Mini Me the second(she already has a daughter who looks just like her so thats the OG Mini Me..lol)
PHEWWW...great chatting and rambling!
Its all 100%

ShonaVixen said...

aaaah aaah sorry darling for such a long comment..well hey @ least handina ana'metaphorsis' etc..LOL!!

Vimbai said...

Shona, you are making me smile today! Your energy has reached me down here in jozi, its that contagious :-) Keep it coming!

The big 30 is looming, LOOMING...i'm HOV got it right, that 30 is the new 20, so i can buy myself some time to get it together.

Kudos, for following your dream musikana! That takes some guts and balls (both of which i am trying to grow).

Shona, there's a Meerkat that gets on your nerves, LMAO, does that even make sense, lol.

Your friend naming and renaming her baby proves my point that the baby shouldn't be called anything concrete till they pop out - so nicknames like Pickle, Nunu, Bambina etc

And i'm just gonna ignore your use of the term 100% hmmph!

Vimbai said...

PS Long comments are always welcome...speaking of which, where are you Super?

ShonaVixen said...

Vimbai sha-a to understand this Meerkat that gets on my nerves I suggest u go on this website:
http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/
or this youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0mXUC0cUPg
And now I've seen folks that look like that darn meerkat..LOL!!

Ehe nhai where's Super?I'm sure on the beach some-where enjoying the sun and the butterfly galleries..

Vimbai said...

Is that meerkat seriously wearing a red robe with a yellow cravat? It's spooky looking sha...no wonder you are weirded out by meerkats, lol.

K said...

I love meerkats! LOL...

Ladies the blog post is up...happy reading!

Super do I need to say something controversial for you to come out of hiding?

ShonaVixen said...

So now u see where m coming from?!?

Vimbai said...

K: Meerkats don't pull at my heart strings...but i did enjoy watching that Meerkat Manor documentary on The Discovery Channel - very informative.

Shona: Ummm, saka where are you coming from? I am lost...PS I feel like i playing Blog-Twitter relays with you today, lol.

RocNaija said...

Lol.. Looks like the milkman has some explaining to do..

Did you end up reading the manifesto then??!

Worthwhile read?

Melanie Lytle said...

What'd you think of the manifesto then? Was I anywhere on target?

Vimbai said...

@Roc & @Mel: Manifesto is a worthwhile read, i did note some holes in his theories but in terms of being a motivational manifesto, i think it accomplishes what it was setting out to achieve!

Thanks Mel for sharing the info :-)