Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Night Poetry XIII


It seems Father's are not that highly appreciated amongst poets! Mother's have pages and sonnets dedicated to them but Father's, eish, there are few and far between. Dad's seldom get the love and respect they deserve, even Joseph in the bible only gets opening credits and then there's no mention of him.

I would like to wish all Dad's out there a Happy Father's Day and thank you for being there, through thick and thin.

-----------------------------------------------

Self-Portrait

I resemble everyone
but myself, and sometimes see
in shop windows,
despite the well-known laws
of optics,
the portraits of a stranger,
date unknown,
often signed in a corner
by my father.

A. K. Ramanujan
-----------------------------------

Those Winter Sundays

Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labour in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
and slowly i would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did i know
of love's austere and lonely offices?

Robert Hayden
------------------------------------
Late Fragment

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

Raymond Carver
--------------------------------------

6 comments:

ShonaVixen said...

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

Now aint that the T.R.U.T.H!!!

Kay so where's every-one??Kooks is so slacking I mean heey my day is going rather slow now and I come for a pick-me-up & no-one's jorled here???Ahhh shucks mhani!!
Ooooh btw I went to a Zim bbq and now I cant stop saying 'Lets keep it 100 percent!!'...LOL!!

Vimbai said...

Shona, you sound like you have BEANS! How much sugar have you consumed today, lol.

Please don't start with the whole 100%, i hate that phrase! Put an Afrikaans accent to it and game over bru...lol, i remember i even blogged about it, that's how much it irks me sha.

How was the Zim braai? Any hotties? Any drama with the posting of pictures onto FB of said-braai, lol.

I will be back in blogville manje manje...as for you madame, you've been slacking on the posting front tsk tsk.

Lu said...

Nice...

Vimbai said...

Thanks Lu...a man of so few words, lol.

RocNaija said...

"What did I know, what did i know
of love's austere and lonely offices?
"

Words many think.. but rarely utter..

Vimbai said...

So true...unconditonal love is often a lonely, thankless job.