Friday, June 26, 2009

The Day The Music Died



I didn’t believe it when I checked my phone messages this morning and saw a text message from an unknown number saying that Michael Jackson was dead.

I was still doubtful when I checked my Twitter and Facebook and saw the countless messages outpouring from fans, expressing their disbelief and shock.

I was hoping the world had somehow got it wrong when I logged onto CNN and BBC.

By this time, the numbness had set in.

On the drive to work this morning, all the radio stations were playingMJ tributes. I was still numb, waiting for someone to confirm it was all a sick joke.

My day began with a long meeting, half of which I was not really present for, kept hearing MJ songs in my head. Only to find out during the meeting that I wasn’t the only one in shock, as my colleagues were also in a state of disbelief...

You can only appreciate the sheer magnitude with which Michael affected our lives by how news of his death has transcended racial, cultural, media and even musical borders.

Today the world collectively mourns. Even in his death, he has managed to unite the world.


I can’t help but feel that in his dying, a big chunk of my childhood has gone with him. All my childhood memories are interlaced with Michael’s influence.

- At 6yrs of age, I remember how, after watching Thriller, I was freaked me out for weeks.
- At 7yrs I was fully smitten with him and secretly wished I could be the girl in his “The Way You Make Me Feel” video.
- In junior school I remember what a big deal it was to stay up late (ie 10pm) to catch his Bucharest concert.
- My siblings and I spent countless hours imitating his dance moves (I hopelessly suck at the moonwalk).
- The opening beats to “Remember the Time” still gives me goosebumps.
- When I am in a bad mood and need to vent, I will listen to either “Scream” or “Don’t Care About Us”.
- When I am feeling upbeat, I will listen to his earlier recordings when he was with Jackson 5, “Rocking Robin” and “ABC” being my two favourites.

*sigh*

I can’t believe that my unborn children will live in a world where he is the past.

Michael Jackson will be to them, what Bob Marley and Elvis Presley are to me…amazing musicians from another era.

Sleep easy Michael, may you find the peace you sought in this life, in the next.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W.H. Auden

15 comments:

K said...

I feel you girl, he was a legend. It took me half the day to let it actually sink in and when it did whoa the memories and Auden's poem expresses the feeling behind his sudden death.

Man in the mirror is my favourite all time Jackson song but really all his songs were favs...

Dude my brother used to pull up his black sunday school trousers and wear white socks with his black bata shoes (shined to perfection) THEN try to do the moonwalk....

munhu said...

Michael wandirasa sahwira !! This just took the wind out of my sails and left my little boat adrift and rudderless out in the big blue beyond. I felt like a part of me died. I walked into the office this morning - did the Thriller moves, did a moon "shuffle", clutched my crotch, raised my hand and thrust like MJ before screaming whooo and took my seat. Everyone understood. The world is a poorer place.

Vimbai said...

@K: $100 say's that the white sequined gloves and socks make a big fashion comeback in the next 6 months!

Heee, the Man in the Mirror video always used to freak me out, twas too honest a video! My favourite video is "Remember The Time" and my favourite song is "The Way You Make Me Feel"

LOL @ the BATA shoe memory! My siblings and I used to religiously watch a MJ documentary back in the late 80's that chronicled his rise to fame. For like a year, we watched that video every freaking day. It had the long version of "Bad" on it - the one that is a movie with Wesley Snipes in it...those were the days.

@Munhu The world is truly a poorer place sha...we've been robbed! PS Did you seriously grab your crotch at work & scream whoooo-oooo, lol? For sure, only today of all days would the world understand.

Here's a question, who's the Heir Apparent to MJ's throne?

munhu said...

like the number 23 at the Chicago Bulls - The Throne will no longer be used. MJ is a legend. They have all tried and failed - Usher was once hailed as the successor - where is he now? Chris Brown ?? Mario ?? Noone did pop like Michael and of the current crop noone comes close. If they try I will kill them all.
Yep - I did it and they understood. Odds on getting away with it on Monday are like 1000/1 !! I ain't taking them.

RocNaija said...

One of the more better tributes I've seen online..

RIP MJ..

K said...

is that a $100 USD or AUD? and shall we exchange bank details now for easy deposit or in 6months time? lol

as for heir to the throne...Charles may take over from Queen Elizabeth as may Neyo or any of those other youngins but they will always look to history to influence them

Super star! said...

maybe this critique might proffer better understanding of the man

http://www.moreintelligentlife.com/blog/tim-de-lisle/king-pop-only-briefly

Lu said...

Wow...Beautifully written...In his absence we shall forever feel his presence...

Vimbai said...

@Munhu: It's Monday, any crotch grabbing in the office today?

@RocNaija: Thanks Roc, eish, The King will be missed.

@K: Errr USD i think :-)I doubt anyone is taking over that throne, noone has that kind of legacy.

@Super: Iwe, where have you been nhai nhai? I doubt from the countless articles and interviews written about the man that any of us will ever have a true inkling to who he was...he lived a mystery, he died one too.

@Lu: Thanks hun. He is sorely missed for sure, he shall be immortalised in song.

munhu said...

no crotch grabbing today...the world has kinda moved on until we get to see footage of what promises to be a grand spectacle of a funeral...a celebration of the talent that he had as opposed to a mourners' convention !! Just do not get me started on all the sick jokes that are making the rounds...

ShonaVixen said...

I made sure not to log onto Blog world on Friday, I'm a TMZ addict, so saw it there first and thought ok TMZ don't play around and then well its suck in!!
Yday, as Janet spoke I cried, for I remembered that grief of losing a brother...Back to Michael no matter what he did in his private life, his evolution from black to white..HIS MUSIC touched each one of us, yes I stayed up for that Bucharest show too! I remember singing Heal The World for the choir competitions!
So I'm still mad real mad @ BET for such a crap tribute..so what they had 3 days, its still no excuse for that!!
Hii hona me coming to rant on here..sorry sha!
My Michael J song is PYT(pretty young thang)its made me a rombe a few times on the tube when i start breaking into dance..Michael Jackson is a STAR i wont say WAS coz music lives on!!

Vimbai said...

@Munhu: I don't even wanna hear about the sick jokes...they are completely crass in my opinion and make me livid!

@Shona: Awww, i am sorry it dredged up some unhappy memories chica! I haven't seen the BET awards or Janet's speech...bra, where she even got the strength to stand and up speak is beyond me. I would have to be sedated for a month.

Have you read the "Peter Pan is Dead" tribute on the CNN site. I think the article echos everything i think and feel about Mike. First off, i don't believe for a second that he committed those atrocities...so all those sick jokes flying around are ticking me off sha.

Oh and i am ticked off by all those that feel like MJ purposedly eclipsed Farrah Fawcett's death...seriously, did people think he planned it?

One caller on a radio station was lashing out at the DJ for playing MJ tracks but not mentioning Farrah Fawcett. The DJ was like, "Farrah didn't sing any tracks, MJ did...and this is a music station...we are sad that she's dead too...but her impact wasn't even a 10% of that of MJ's"

Eish, let me stop ranting, am getting angry just thinking of the nonsense i've been hearing of late.

ShonaVixen said...

My friend said to me 'Any-one could have died that day but Michael meant a lot to the world!' Michael was a Virgo like moi, and I remember one day hearing talk about his work and perfection, I was like 'Hmmm maybe those star sign things are actually true'...LOL!
BTW I did unfollow ur man John Mayer..lol..

Eb the Celeb said...

great post... and I love the title... even with all the memorials and everything going on today... its still hard to believe that he isn't here

Vimbai said...

@shona You Virgos are a problem!

@Eb: Still in shock...wish they weren't hold that circus that they're calling his memorial. The man just needs a dignified send-off!