Monday, February 23, 2009

Get Rich Quick (I Smell A Rat)

As soon as someone starts throwing out statements like, "Retire before you're 30" and "Become a millionaire by following 10 simple steps", the sceptic in me rears her head.

This weekend i was sitting in a talk given by a guy about how to make all sorts of money by joining such-and-such a scheme and recruiting this-many people. After a bit of research, i realised he was essentially trying to recruit my friends and me on some pyramid scheme type venture (although die-hards will argue that it wasn't a pyramid scheme, 'cause the product being sold was viable -symantecs).

Money is on everyone's mind, more than ever with the recession not showing any sign of leaving any time soon. I'm been racking my brain trying to figure out ways to earn additional income without having to walk the streets of Jozi late at night in a mini-skirt. I'm guessing everyone's in the same boat, or nobody would actually buy into these "get rich quick" schemes.

Anyone have any pointers on how to make additional legit income?

Official Joburg Welcoming Committee: It's official, after the several emails and phonecalls i got this weekend from people around the diaspora, asking me to look after friends and family visiting Jozi.

Maybe this is where i should make my money from 'cause Lord knows i would be making a killing from it Luckily I love entertaining people and showing them around (granted, i am still finding my way around this city myself). As someone who knows first-hand how daunting it is to land into a new place and get orientated, i make an excellent facilitator (no modesty here mate). So if you ever visit holla *big grin*

He's Just Not Into You: I watched it over the weekend and was amused. The guy who wrote the book must be so chuffed with himself, make millions from writing a book that states the obvious and now making a movie filled to the brink with all sorts of movie stars...and he's still making millions. Without giving too much away, i thought the most applicable-to-real-life story line in it was to do with Jennifer Aniston's character.

Oh and i totally agree with Shonavixen who wrote a blog last week about how the movie reinforced some stereotypes, namely the African chicks at the beginning depicted sitting in the bush speaking in Shona about how some dude hadn't called etc Seriously, they could have just got some modern looking African chick (like myself) lamenting with her homies in some urban settings...rumour has it that most of us who reside on this continent don't actually live in the sticks!

Okey dokey, let me get my work-on :-) Enjoy your last week of February 2009 chickens!

Love

V x

13 comments:

K said...

Don't even raise an eyebrow at my being first here already...at least today I put in half a days work in!

Extra finances? ...just don't get involved in those schemes that requires you to give your bank details so that they can deposit 45 million dollars in your account...yeah uh huh

As for he's not that into you...self help books...still trying to figure out what piece of common sense advice I could sell that would get me on Oprah...I'm working on an idea that women choose men like they choose shoes...are you the browser who will walk up and down, needs 2or 3 friends advice before buying or the type that gets in the shop, sees the shoe, fits the shoe...buys the shoe.

Yes, I feel I could help women crack their dating patterns and this idea is copyrighted...seriously..lol

ShonaVixen said...

Ok, I'm second...not bad so I won't scream first as I've been doing on other blogs...lol!!!
That movie as much as it was good those first few mins got me cussing in Shona once more they get a PFUTSEK from me!!
When I'm in Jozi sometime next I will give you a call girl and you can show me around!!

ShonaVixen said...

Ooooh guys the BUHLE SA Idols video is killing me...i'm so loving it that now any crazy moment i have is now officially called a Buhle Moment...she's just great..remix to Killing me Softly..even Mr Remix T-Pain wouldn't be able to do that!!

K said...

Sha Shona that poor child...hoza hoza! LMAO.... don't forget the judges telling her evil spirits had possessed her and she was twasing to get it out...lol

Vimbai said...

K: let's co-write this book and then split the profits :-) Oh and if the way you pick shoes is how one approaches their love life, then i'm definitely the girl that if she's what she likes, she's just gotta have it - there's no consulting with gf's here!

Shona: You just reminded me that i had that Killing Me Softly remix on my laptop but hadn't listened to it yet. Hold up while i give it a listen....

ARE YOU KIDDING ME, oh Lawdy! I have tears, oh my goodness. She's sooooo serious. Bra, she was definitely killing that song softly. The impromptu dance was the best bit, "Hoza hoza"

It's up there with the other Idol gem "Ken Lee"!

Skinny B*tch said...

You can try out the distributing of products for organisations such as Herbalife or Amway, these are not pyramid schemes. These offer business schemes for anyone and everyone, u dont need a licence or anything and its so legal. It's honest money and it's good money. You get to earn pretty decent extra money although you have to market a lot. The products are quite good as well. Knowing you and your sweet toungue, you can make thousands..a little dedication needed though

K said...

I Ken Leeeeeeeeeeeeeee tulibu dibu douchoo
Ken Leeeeeeeee Ken Leeeeeeee meju more

Vimbai said...

Skinny: But the market is saturated with Herbalife and Amway peeps selling their wares, meaning you have to work twice that hard to make a sale compared to people further up the food chain!

Also, if i don't believe or care for what i'm meant to be marketing, it doesn't help innit. Dedication is definitely key. My sweet tongue and i will continue looking around i guess :-)

PS Are you involved in any of these legit schemes?

K: Bra, that chick DESTROYED Mariah's track! It was unrecognisable mate - how i howled with laughter!

Hadassah said...

LOLOLOL when was that book really published??? I got offended big time when I watched that particular part of the movie!

Vimbai said...

Hadassah, long time girl! Eish, i think that book was published in the early part of this millenium...it followed the success of such gems, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" - why we all can't be from the same planet is beyond me, but i digress.

African woman everywhere must be cringing at the little intro to the movie, i would like get my hands on the Zimbo on-set who even suggested it, tsk tsk.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://laqokyhok.servetown.com/azysyp.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ugozicum.ibnsites.com/selylo.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://jepahiqu.angelcities.com/irywywe.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich