Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Where were you when Obama became the 1st Black President of the United States?

5th November 2008 (05:55am): In the haze of some other screwed up dream i hear my phone's sms tone go off, all i can think of is, "Who the heck is trying to get hold of me at this time of the morning...hope it's not bad news." I roll over to see a text from my sister, now i'm all anxious, what kind of message needs to be sent at this unholy time of the morning. I open the message and see 3 words....3 words that have changed the course of history.



"Obama did it!!!!!!"



Now ladies and gents, i am NOT a morning person, but i was out of bed quicker than you could say, "McCain must be bummed!."

I couldn't believe it at 6am in the morning, and right now i am still reeling from the shock! The impossible has happened, the dreams and hopes of a nation...an entire planet in fact have been realised. It's not only a victory for the Democrats...the Americans...the African Americans but for people of colour everywhere, a black man is now the leader of the free world!

I called everyone in my phone book this morning, the reactions were quite hilarious...clearly some people were in a panic, "Why are you calling so early", some people were not impressed that i had cut into their beauty sleep, "What the heck do you want?" and some were just clueless, lol.


A friend of mine in the States pointed out that she had never received so many calls, text messages and emails from people outside the States in one day, as she put it, "You'd think Obama is President of the World the way people everywhere are so happy."

Guys, people are already arranging Obama victory parties for the weekend, and after work victory drinks. If i had it my way, i wouldn't be at work today....heck, they should just make the today an international holiday or something :-)

I can't help but think back on Martin Luther King Jr's speech and how his dream has come to fruition! Today is a day of Hope...of Pride...a day when the impossible is so possible!



"We cannot walk alone.
And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.
We cannot turn back...

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

....we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children,
black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics,
will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:


Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

7 comments:

Kookie said...

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShonaVixen said...

in the words of Barack Hussein Obama, the Leo, CHANGE HAS ARRIVED!!Obamafied folks are all over, for he has lit that light, torch of hope, those who said America wasnt ready..hell its ready today..lets hope this has a treacle effect on all of us!!Gosh, now i just need to see Obama and Rolihlahla together!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't even have the words to describe the hope I have today. The tears haven't stopped. Not only is he the first black man to become U.S. president, but he is also a GOOD man who values reconciliation and harmony and steadfastness. Things are going to change! YES WE CAN!!

-Melanie

Vimbai said...

Kookie: Yes We Can...and WE DID!

Shona: I am waiting for the trickle down effect sha! I am also secretly hoping that Obama and Bob get an opportunity to talk, you know, black man to black man...so Zim can have some hope and change too innit!

Mel:He is a GOOD man! I'm sure you've seen all the forwards floating around with pics of him and his family, i swear, i get all teary-eyed when i look at them. LOL, i want me and Obama too :-)

Anonymous said...

Ur call to me killed me sha!! Mukai mukai mukai, its a holiday!!! Said like a true Miz queen!! :)

Vimbai said...

But you know i will be a TRUE Zim queen when the time comes! Bra, i was so excited, i was also getting excited with the phrase, "Hurumende yekuAmerica" for some reason, random i know :-)

Eb the Celeb said...

I am so proud to finally have a story to tell... I never thought I would see the day that my children an grandchildren read something in their history books that I can say I was alive to see, that I experienced it. It is a great time to be American