Monday, July 28, 2008

Dance, Eat, Walk

So I am currently reading that much raved about book, “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert and she states that certain words/expressions can sum up what your priorities in life are. It’s pretty hard work finding 5 words or less that encapsulate your approach to life, in its entirety, so I’m still working on that exercise. For now, however, I’ve decided that today’s subject title, “Dance, Eat, Walk” summarises my activities over the past weekend.

DANCE: A good sign of a great night out is doing a version of what I call the “Crip walk”. Sadly fellas, only the ladies will get this one. The Crip Walk is that hobble, pained walk that we ladies do from the club to the car after a night of some serious dancing.

What I would like to know is why we don’t feel the pain in our feet whilst breaking it down for 4hrs on the dance floor or walking around in the club? Noooooo, instead we only feel the aftershocks when heading to the car whilst limping or hopping from foot to foot as though we are walking on hot coals.

Other Observations
: Taboo kicks a*s on pay-day weekend, Joburg has WAY too many pretty chicks (habitational hazard!), having some random guy grinding behind you in the club is always super annoying (read: Fellas, there’ll be no “Love in Da Club” tonight!) and my knees aren’t what they used to be!

EAT: During the week I tend to have pretty small meals but I more than make up for it over the weekend by eating my weight in whatever I can get my hands on. It’s so weird, I will eat to the point of feeling sick and sluggish and two hours later I am ravenous as though I haven’t had a meal all day. Nothing like a weekend binge I tell ya *sigh*.

Other Observations: I HEART Woolies 24hr shops, people who are unnecessarily rude to waiters tick me off big time and you can never have enough Malva pudding.

WALK: Those nearest and dearest to me know that I don’t do exercise…ever! So you can only imagine how chuffed I am for walking 15km’s to support a charity cause yesterday afternoon. My heart was in the right place when I readily accepted the challenge.

However, next time I will make sure I stretch and possibly work my way up to walking 15km’s in the first place. I can’t move my legs as we speak, I am feeling muscles in my butt I didn’t know I had and my shuffle-shuffle, limp walk is getting funny I-know-what-you-did-over-the-weekend-*dirty smirk* looks (yah, no!).

Other Observations: It is imperative that one stretchs before doing any form of exercise, these charity walks are a great way to scout properties in the leafy suburbs, as well as catch up with friends and I think I saw enough bums of all shapes and sizes encased in lycra to last me a lifetime!

6 comments:

unwritten said...

Vimz, I have to say, Im a huge fan of dancing like no one is watching, but you make a good point about why we dont feel our feet while breaking it down, but the minute you're outta teh club, you wanna be carried!
Also, i miss 24hr shops, this wkend i was in a serious state of drunken depression coz i wanted McD's or anything greasy.

Vimbai said...

I wish they had shuttles or golf carts to take you from da club to your car! Dude! It totally sucks when u dont get what u r craving for, be it food or a person, lol.

Don't believe a word I write said...

I saw the author of "Eat, pray, love" on Oprah a while ago, and found her so irritating and precious that I've refused to read the book. That's despite the many positive reviews I've heard about it. Hmmm. I would like to reconsider, but maybe I'll wait a couple of years.

Vimbai said...

I saw her on that same episode of oprah and found her a little too head-in-the-clouds too. But one of my girls kept singing the book's praises and i got curious. 100-odd pages in, its not so bad.

Monique said...

honey, I am notorius for crip walking after the club. I mean to the point of coming out of my shoes but the middle of the night. i think the alchol numbs the pain that is building up during the night or something. LOL. Great post.

Vimbai said...

For real, the alcohol must numb our feet and we only feel the pain when heading out and clearly sobering up!