Monday, June 23, 2008

Cry My Beloved Country: A Dream Deferred


Rule of thumb: It's never good news when you get a call/sms before the hour of 7am, never!

This morning's sms reinforced this particular rule. When i read my sms, i actually thought it was some sort of cruel joke, however, CNN & SkyNews' little information scrolly-thing at the bottom of the page confirmed the worst...that the main opposition in Zim's election had withdrawn.
I am shocked, surprised, dismayed, confused and everything else in between. I am not alone though, after a quick peek into my Facebook friend's status updates , it appears that the rest of my peers are also going through the motions.
At times like these, hopeless & helpless times, even my heathen self knows that prayer is the only answer here. A little bit of it tends to go a long way!
However, can't help but still feel somewhat distraught with the turn of events. For some reason, i am reminded of the last bit from TS Eliot's poem, "The Hollow Men";
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
and the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

For thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

8 comments:

Don't believe a word I write said...

I heard the news with much sadness. Such dispair.
A beautiful poem.

Skinny Girl said...

*hugs*

I've never prayed in my life but I will for you Miss V.

Lovely poem babe.

S X

Ruby said...

I love that poem!

I was shocked at the turn of events too! I thought that they had made a mistake or something, but aparently not. We're definitely spending plenty time praying this side.

Hugs

Vimbai said...

DBAWIW: The news is TOO sad, sniff sniff.

Skinny: Girl, what do you mean you haven't EVER prayed? Lol, i bet when you see a pair of shoes you like you are praying to get 'em, lol (yes, praying for shoes does count as praying!)

Ruby: Keep the prayers coming girl :-)

Vee said...

I can't agree more, I'm so depressed at this news, but Tsvangirayi had no choice! He choose the lives of Tendai Biti and the other MDC supporters rather than power...

As Bob said, only God can remove him now, he has directly challenged God... and so we pray!

Vimbai said...

Vee: i get that people's lives where at stake, but that was always gonna be the case going into something like this (it would be naive to assume he didnt already know this, politics after all is dirty business) and by withdrawing does not mean that lives won't be lost either way.

It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations, i just wish he could have stuck it out a little longer. No point quitting the race 2m from the finish line.

Vee said...

True...I still admire that he choose the softer more peaceful approach. At least it means that if he ever comes to power, it seems we won't end up with another ruthless leader, willing to sacrifice people for power...The images on eNews, BBC and Aljezeera this weekend of what was going on in Harare were to hectic to handle

Vimbai said...

Hopefully we only get allocated one ruthless leader in a lifetime, coz if that's so, we are definitely had our quota for our lifetime!

Those images they keep shooting are SO depressing, the madness needs to stop now.