Sunday, May 04, 2008

Sunday Night Poetry VII

This past week has been pretty hectic and tough for some close friends of mine who have lost close family members. I wish them and their families the love and strength to get through this very difficult period.

---------------------------------------

Going Without Saying
(In Memory of Joe Flynn)

It is a great pity we don't know
When the dead are going to die
So that, over a last companionable
Drink, we could tell them
How much we liked them.

Happy the man who, dying, can
Place his hand on his heart and say;
"At least i didn't neglect to tell
The thrush how beautifully she sings."

Bernard O'Donoghue


----------------------------------------

The Reassurance

About ten days or so
After we saw you dead
You came back in a dream
I'm alright now you said.

And it was you, although
you were fleshed out again:
You hugged us all round then,
And gave your welcoming beam.

How like you to be kind,
Seeking to reassure.
And, yes, how like my mind
To make itself secure.

Thom Gunn

______________________

Sonnet II

Time does not bring relief, you all have lied
Who told me time would ease me of my pain!
I miss him in the weeping of the rain;
I want him at the shrinking of the tide...

There are a hundred places where i fear
To go, - so with his memory they brim!
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shone his face
I say, "There is no memory of him here!"
And so stand stricken, so remembering him.

Edna St. Vincent Millay


No comments: