Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday Night Poetry V


A Silly Poem

Said Hamlet to Ophelia,
I'll draw a sketch of thee,
What kind of pencil shall I use?
2B or not 2B?

Spike Milligan

----------------------------------------------------

I May, i Might, I Must

If you will tell me why the fen
Appears impassable, I then
Will tell you why I think that I
Can get across it if I try.

Marianne Moore

----------------------------------

Hot and Cold

A woman who my mother knows
Came in and took off all her clothes.

Said I, not being very old,
'By golly gosh, you must be cold!'

'No, no!' she cried. 'Indeed I'm not!
I'm feeling devilishly hot!'

Roald Dahl

---------------------------

Democracy

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.

Langston Hughes

2 comments:

lebogang said...

I love the Spike Milligan poem - clever!
The Langston Hughes poem is quite relevant at the moment.
I hope you're good.

Vimbai said...

Spike Milligan's stuff is generally insane! I love it!