Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sunday Night Poetry III


Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost.

------------------

My Dream

This is my dream,
It is my own dream,
I dreamt it.
I dreamt that my hair was kempt.
Then I dreamt that my true love unkempt it.

Ogden Nash

------------------------------------

My children

I can hear them talking, my children
Fluent English and broken Kurdish.
And whenever I disagree with them
they will comfort each other by saying:
Don’t worry about mum, she’s Kurdish.

Will I be a foreigner in my own home?

Choman Hardi

------------------------------------

Coat

Sometimes I have wanted
to throw you off
like a heavy coat.

Sometimes I have said
you would not let me
breath or move.

But now that I am free
to chose light clothes
or none at all.

I feel the cold
and all the time I think
how warm it used to be.

Vicki Feaver


3 comments:

anonimas said...

Thank you - some truly exquisite choices of what to share this week. My dream is amazing - one could put together a library of tomes on what has been said in those few words.
Ndatenda zvikuru.

Anonymous said...

Saturday night poetry? Dont you ever get out?lol!!

Vimbai said...

The last time i checked, it read, "SUNDAY night poetry"...nuff said.