Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday Night Poetry I


I own way too many poetry books than is possibly necessary and what good are they unless they are shared.

Please feel free to refer me to any great poems you like, I’m always searching for lesser-known-but –just-as-great poems or even your own stuff.

V x
--------------------------------
Free

Born free
to be caught
and fashioned
and shaped
and freed to wander
within
a caged dream
of tears

Merle Collins

------------------------

Coda

Maybe we knew each other better
When the night was young and unrepeated
And the moon stood still over Jericho.

So much for the past; in the present
There are moments caught between heart-beats
When maybe we know each other better.

But what is this clinking in the darkness?
Maybe we will know each other better
When the tunnels meet beneath the mountain.

Louis McNeice

-------------------------

An Epilogue


I have seen flowers come in stony places
And kind things done by men with ugly faces.
And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races,
So I trust, too.

John Masefield
---------------------

6 comments:

G-Mack said...

thank you for sharing such fantastic poetry! I would also like to share some with you.......Yonghy Bonghy Bo!!!!!!!!

Vimbai said...

Gmack: Your obsession with the works of Edward Lear is troubling, lol. I'm sure you know some OTHER works, throw some names and titles my way!

G-Mack said...

Love's Secret by William Blake

Never seek to tell thy love,
Love that never told can be;
For the gentle wind doth move
Silently, invisibly.

I told my love, I told my love,
I told her all my heart,
Trembling, cold, in ghastly fears.
Ah! she did depart!

Soon after she was gone from me,
A traveller came by,
Silently, invisibly:
He took her with a sigh.

G-Mack said...

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

Langston Hughes

Vimbai said...

GMack: THe first one by William Blake, i never really got...is he saying that if you tell someone you love them then they bounce! Eish, clearly the traveller's game was tight, lol.

As for Langston Hughes, i HEART all things Langston Hughes...you clearly know more than just Yongi Bongi GMack, lol.

Lolo said...

Loike I said before, you should be a poet Vim....nice stuff!!