Monday, February 18, 2008

Pretty Little Words to Alleviate The Boredom & Pass the Time

With the lovely free time on my hands, i've been doing a lot of reading...possibly TOO much reading. I am reading 3 books as we speak, well concurrently. The one is about Notorious Women (wow, there were some bad a*s women back in the day), the some crime thriller based in Venice (can't remember the title, something about a Sea of Troubles) and something for the soul with some Paulo Coelho thrown in the mix.

All this reading material is courtesy of my new gal pal who generously gave me a place to lay my resting head after i consumed most of her wine, danced around her living room and couldn't bring myself to drive myself home...what a gal!

That said, i thought i would share some poems that caught my eye. Enjoy


I Didn’t Go To Church Today

I didn’t go to church today,
I trust the Lord to understand.
The surf was swirling blue and white,
The children swirling on the sand.
He knows, he knows how brief my stay,
How brief the spell of summer weather,
He knows when I am said and done
We’ll have plenty of time together.

Ogden Nash
----------------

He Tells Her (for Ruth B.)

He tells her that the Earth is flat -
He knows the facts,
and that is that.
In altercations fierce and long
She tries her best to prove him wrong.
But he has learned to argue well.
He calls her arguments unsound
And often asks her not to yell.
She cannot win.
He stands his ground.

The planet goes on being round.

Wendy Cope

------------------------

Lots of Things

Lots of things
can be laughable
such as
kissing my phone
when I have heard
your voice in it.

Not to kiss my phone
when I cannot kiss you
would be
still more laughable
and sadder.

Erich Fried

---------------------------------

Happy the Man

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Be fair or foul or rain or shine
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
Not Heaven itself upon the past has power,
But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour.

John Dryden
Translation of Horace, Odes, Book III, xxix

4 comments:

missnyash said...

heysh i wanna know i wanna ur name ur name...why u gotta be anonimas?? mmm thats some hectic shona there....
anyway to the matter at hand miss vim expect more hits from sydney, australia :) i like the wendy cope poem, she writes so well :) am anticipating ur next blog post..keep em coming sista

Wazzie said...

Missnyash woohoo - I miss youuuuuu!

Vim: Counting Crows - gotta listen to it - this is me today - I am inspired xx


I am color...blind
Coffee black and egg white
Pull me out from inside
I am ready
I am ready
I am ready
I am
taffy stuck, tongue tied
Stuttered shook and uptight
Pull me out from inside
I am ready
I am ready
I am ready
I am...fine
I am covered in skin
No one gets to come in
Pull me out from inside
I am folded, and unfolded, and unfolding
I am
colorblind
Coffee black and egg white
Pull me out from inside
I am ready
I am ready
I am ready
I am...fine
I am.... fine
I am fine

Joe Black said...

Party people, desecrating my poor neighbourhood ... without me. Tsk tsk. Should have rather partied with you than watched the darn football, in retro.

Vimbai said...

Anonimas: Eish, no words.

MissNyash: So did you take my advice and make it your home page!

Wazzie: Love that song, you go girl!

Joe Black: Eish, your neighbourhood is the one! I will back for more debauchery! I told you come thru wani!