Monday, January 14, 2008

“Oh what a feeling I’m feeling life”

The last 48hrs have been schweet, my honey and I were ensconced in co-habitational (not sure that is a word), bliss over the weekend. There’s nothing like cuddling on the couch in your pj’s watching really awful tv with a severe case of bed-head knowing the person sitting right next to you thinks you are still as sexy as hell (his words, not mine *smug smile*). Don’t get me wrong, when I get around it to, I clean up real good…but my preferred state is one of vegetation, on a couch, watching straight-to-video flicks.


So you know how I’d said in my previous post that I wouldn’t make any New Year’s resolutions, well I think I may have to take it back. You see, this weekend my phone took an unexpected swim and after administering a few rounds of CPR, frantic shaking and cooing repeatedly in a Nicole Kidman-esque voice reminiscent of her character in “Cold Mountain”, “Come back to me, come back.” I realised there was no hope, little Ella wasn’t waking up anytime soon.

That’s when it hit me, I really shouldn’t be getting attached to inanimate objects (especially the ones that vibrate, haha). If I own it and it useds batteries or needs a charger, chances are high (about 99,8% high) that I have named it and created some elaborate personality profile for the object.

Take Ella for example, she was a lovely gal, a little misunderstood perhaps. Most people found her a bit showy, they couldn’t see past her svelte Samsung x820 frame to see that she was just like any other phone. Sadly, most people just couldn’t get past her looks J Don’t get me started on my Laptop, “Nina.”

However, the madness must stop. My heart shouldn’t literally start breaking just because the inanimate object in question has flown the coop, for goodness sakes, most of these things have a 12 month life span. From here on out, no more naming things, after all they’re just stuff…and stuff can be replaced!


“How come everything I think I need, always comes with batteries.”
John Mayer ‘Something’s Missing’

11 comments:

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Hey doll!! Hope 2008 is going well for you, barring the loss of Ella! Seriously...why have they NOT made raincoats for cellphones?

Hmmm...maybe THATS how I'll make my MILLIONS this year! LOL!

It's nice to be back....got back to blogging today! Woohoo!!

wazzie said...

Ah hon so sorry to hear that Ella is no longer with us. She served you well. Such good memories - privy to all your private conversations and a constant companion. Vigorously shook at odd times xx

Vimbai said...

Blondie: Was wondering where you had got to! You better patent that idea QUICK, you may be onto something....

Wazzie: I just had the funniest thort, you know how in a movie, they'd show flashbacks of your memories with someone, well mine would show me shaking Ella to get signal, hahahahahaha, hilarious. You have made me laugh in my sorrow...ooooh, i need to talk to you soon btw!

Ruby said...

hey blondie!!! you could sell it at my shoe shop that serves freshly baked cookies while you shop!

Vimbai...don't feel bad bout naming things....i'm not quite that bad, but my car has a name, my plants have names, my laptop has a name....i think it's quite normal....since you have such an intimate bond with them and all

Wazzie said...

Will call u tonite

Vimbai said...

Ruby: Glad to know i'm not alone in my naming of inanimate objects and living ones too, have two cacti calle d Horatio & Lorelai...very random, but it is what it is.

Wazzie: Try to get me on Ferrets line if you can't reach me, shady network gwans as always!

Natalie said...

My teddies all have names and secretly I believe they have feelings too. (Don't tell anyone)
Hope you are having a fantastic 2008 Vimbai!x

Natalie said...

My teddies all have names and secretly I believe they have feelings too. (Don't tell anyone)
Hope you are having a fantastic 2008 Vimbai!x

shazza said...

ohh i feelya girl... when my iPod tooka swim over a year ago... it tore my heart... i felt like a part of me was gone... but with a bit of CPR i managed to bring it back to life...

Love your blog:)

Becks said...

I'm sorry about Ella And I don't think you should stop forming personal attachments with your stuff. Should the world meet an unimaginable crisis end a la 'I am Legend' and you are left alone, you will be grateful for, say Tim-the-toaster's company and Molly-the-microwave will be a phenomenal conversationalist.

The books I read are affairs I am having often referred to by the author's first name (Taking Oscar or Sylvia to bed takes on a whole new meaning) and my computer, Blue (er... because she's blue...) is a temperamental diva and we though we fight a lot we love each other dearly.

Whaa-hahahahaha I am loopy today.

Hey just discovered the the first option under choose identity doesnt merely mean I am signed in. It is MY identity and I don't have to pick a nickname.

Whaa-hahahahahahah I'v been loopy half my life

aphrikanyc said...

Ella!!! That is too funny:) I nicknamed myself Ellabella after I got confirmed in high school...In a dream world it would be raining iphones...