- A recovering coke-head who constantly fell off the wagon & who was prone to unexplainable fits of rage;
- A power hungry, frustrated ex-combatant who sadly had already been-all-that-he-could-be and had a dislike for all things female;
- A lecherous old man more interested on the length of one's skirt rather than one's opinion on strategies for the next quarter; and,
- The career sportsman who spent more of his time at sporting events than actually in the office.
Yes, i have a wide array of bosses who have taught me a lot, more along the lines of what NOT to do when in a certain situation. At the same time, i have been blessed with some amazing mentors who have provided me with guidance, motivation and inspiration...sadly, my current boss does not belong in this category!
My current boss is Passive Aggression personified;
- She over commits and rarely delivers and then starts pointing fingers and blaming everyone else but herself!;
- She has fits of rage where she talks to herself and is often heard telling herself off (cuckoo!); and,
- She's moodier than a 14yr old teenage girl PMS'ing - she's been known to go days without talking to any in the team even when subtly prompted because she's having guy issues??!!!.
My colleagues and i are almost used to this behaviour now (although honestly, who should really get used to such behaviour). We have developed some coping mechanisms like; avoiding direct eye contact with her (she seems to see this as sign of aggression, lol), reverting to email as a mode of communication and last, but not least, putting our earphones on & playing soothing music whilst doing one's work.
Not an ideal situation at the very least, but definitely a learning curve...albeit a steep one :-)