Monday, October 29, 2007

"I'm only happy when it rains"

Okay the subject title isn’t all that accurate, I’m not only happy when it rains, however, there’s nothing like a torrential downpour to put me in high spirits so the music group Garbage were onto something when the wrote a track by that very name. The sweet pitter-patter of rain on one’s window combined with some hot chocolate, lots of comfort food and lots of trashy novels = utter bliss my friends, utter bliss.

The majority of my weekend was spent in that state, once in a while I would get up to look outside and just smile, blue skies are so overrated, I would take grey, angry looking clouds and rain with lots of character any day. Yes siree bob, I love it when pane ka-weather.

I also took the opportunity to update my music collection, if I have to listen to what’s on my iPod one more time, I’ll scream. Who would have thunk it was possible to get bored of 634 songs. Anywho, I think the weather had a lot to do with the stuff I was downloading, coz the majority of the beats I got fell somewhere in the wrist-splitting-curled-up-in-fetal-position genre. I did of course get the obligatory commercial songs, and then some golden oldies.

Obligatory-commercial-songs-that-i -can’t-stop-humming-to-myself:
Timbaland feat One Republic – Apologise
Eve feat Swiss Beats – Tambourine

Wrist-splitting-crying-over-spilt-milk-songs:
Corrinne Bailey Rae – I won’t let you lie to yourself
Anya Marina – Miss halfway
Anne Waronker – How am I doing
Ingrid Michaelson – Corner of your heart
Let’s Go Sailing – All I wanted from you is love

Golden Oldies (have no idea who sings these tho!):
War, what is it good for(absolutely nothing)?
It’s my party
Earth Angel

On Sunday nite my honey and I watched “Stranger than Fiction”, he’s a big fan of the movie, I just found it odd and whimsical at best, but after sitting and giving it a think, it was a pretty clever, entertaining movie that deals with all sorts of topics like:

a) Are we truly in total control of our destinies ,
b) Are we so caught up in the humdrum activities of life that life itself then passes us by cause we are stuck in our comfort zones and,
c) To give up your life to save another’s life, you inevitably save your own life in the process.

Let me leave you with my favourite quote of the whole movie, given by Emma Thompson’s character:

“Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair,
in routine and constancy,
in hopelessness and tragedy,
we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies.

And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies,
we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin,
or a kind and loving gesture, or subtle encouragement,
or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort…
and maybe the occasional piece of fiction.

And we must remember that all these things,
the nuances,
the anomalies,
the subtleties,
which we assume only accessorize our days,
are effective for a much larger and nobler cause.
They are here to save our lives.”.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie! Emma Thompson is so my fave.

Wx

Vimbai said...

I love her too, altho in this movie she's a bit grimey!

Anonymous said...

yeah like a true pom...

Anonymous said...

Who's this honey you keep talking about???

Vimbai said...

Why its you daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarling!

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, of course :)