Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Best I Ever Never Had

We all have those songs that literally teleport you into the past to a specific point in time. I heard one of them yesterday, Vertical Horizon's "Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning)." The sense of nostalgia that overcame me was a sharp blend of wistful longing and residual infatuation.


It was the winter of 2001 and i was utterly and completely besotted with one of my close guy pals, thinking about it now actually makes me squirm with embarrasment *blush*

The dismal, greyish winter tones of Cape Town acted as the physicological backdrop for this unrequited love affair, coz this was a purely one-sided crush. The Love Interest (L.I.) in question was none-the-wiser, well i hope and pray he was clueless, it makes the whole situation a little less mortifying..

I suffered in silence and feigned nonchalance around the L.I., while back at the ranch however, close friends where constantly subjected to blow-by-blow accounts of how L.I. smelled, smiled, spoke or what he was wearing that day. It helped pass the boring hours spent in one too many varsity lectures.

Thankfully, this phase, like a lot of things, eventually passed and we drifted apart (an event that ironically coincided with him dating someone who i was not *ahem* a big fan of, to say the least).

Hearing that song yesterday brought it all back; the innocence of youth, wet & cold Mediterranean winters, the angst of unrequited love and carefree varsity days.

"So you sailed away
Into a grey sky morning
Now I'm here to stay
Love can be so boring
And nothing's quite the same now
I just say your name now

But It's not so bad..
You're only the best I ever never had"

No comments: