Tuesday, June 12, 2007

To New Beginnings!

Spoiler Alert: If you have not watched Mel Gibson’s movie “Apocalypto” give this blog post a skip.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." — W.Durant

Usually I am very bad (read: particularly awful) at watching movies that are of the violent, thriller, suspense variety. I will sit through such a movie either hiding behind my hand/pillow or fast-forwarding through the parts I can’t sit-through (I’ve been known to condense a 3hr movie into a 20min flick). After some convincing selling of the movie by my good friend Chipo, I sceptically took the flick and proceeded to watch it.


Boy am I glad that I actually behaved and watched the WHOLE flick, gory bits and all (which are a-plenty). I even got through the part where a disease-ridden, possessed child started chanting out some prophecy….at this point I was squirming in my seat, but practiced some self restraint and didn’t touch that dial!

This is one of two pretty good flicks I’ve watched this year, 300 being the other (mmmmh, six-packed Spartans – yum yum). Kinda ironic they are both of the blood and gore category. Anywho, there are plenty of things I love about this movie and I’m gonna list them, in no particular order of preference;

1) It’s not in English! Some people hate subtitles but speaking the Maya dialect adds credibility to the movie, and makes you concentrate more on the movie from a visual perspective…come to think of it, very little is really said…but what is said is quite heavy!

2) There is not one single celebrity/Hollywood-ish actor in it, so refreshing!

3) It’s inspiring as it deals with self-knowledge, combating fear, courage…okay there are plenty of themes going on here, one of the most important being my next point.

4) The movie hits the idea home, from the opening credits to the end of the flick, that a civilisation’s decline begins from within way before any external forces come in to play to finish the job.

5) That Jaguar Paw is a cutie, nothing hotter than a man risking life and limb to get back to his loved ones!

6) The last line spoken by Jaguar Paw is so poignant, it sent shivers down my spine! After having overcome adversity, strife and displacement there is only one thing left to do, “Seek a new beginning.”
“I am Jaguar Paw, son of Flint Sky.
My Father hunted this forest before me.
My name is Jaguar Paw.
I am a hunter.
This is my forest.
And my sons will hunt it with their sons after I am gone”

No comments: