Monday, May 07, 2007

Umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh...


This weekend was a bit of an eye opener of sorts. I hung out and spoke to friends that I’d somewhat neglected during my funk. What I love about these individuals is their “staying power”, it’s great to know there’re those who’ll have your back when the chips are down.

This thought-train then got me thinking about all the people who’d had an “umbrella” of sorts when many a storm was brewing in my life, from my gorgeous siblings, to friends I’ve known for a lifetime and those who I’ve felt like I’ve know for a lifetime.

Sadly, this kind of reflecting made me think of those individuals who’d been fair-weather friends, who at the first sign of trouble were nowhere to be seen. Those who expected you to be there through all their shit but didn’t have the courtesy to return the favour when the tables where turned. As painful at the process of weeding all the “bad” individuals in our lives is, it helps us appreciate the great people around us…the one’s who always have an umbrella ready, just in case. The ones to whom we are more than happy to return the favour.

“When the sun shine
We shine together
Told you i'll be here forever
Said I'll always be your friend
So come on out and stick it till the end.

Now that it's raining more then ever
Know that we'll still have each other
You can stand under my Umbrella
You can stand under my Umbrella”

No comments: