Monday, April 30, 2007

Dreaming 'bout Darcy


It is a truth universally acknowledged that Mr Darcy is uber sexy!

Those who know me well know about my rather unwavering devotion to Mr Darcy (I can see my sister’s eyes rolling into the back of her head with that “here we go again’ expression).


If you don’t know who Mr Darcy is then I suggest you pick up a copy of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, if reading proves difficult for the MTV-generation then get your hands on a copy of the BBC Prime version of Pride & Prejudice*…bear in mind its 4hrs long, but well worth it.

Let me share a few reasons why I can’t stop crushing on Mr Darcy (if you have not read the book and plan on doing so, then don’t read on – i may giveaway some of the plot;

1. He’s one of those men that commands interest wherever he goes;

"[Mr Darcy]soon drew the attention of the room by his fine, tall person, handsome features, noble mien; and the report which was in general circulation within five minutes after his entrance, of his having ten thousand a year.”

2. He’s the strong, silent type and is rather unapologetic about it;

"I certainly have not the talent which some possess... of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done"

3. Although he initially describes Elizabeth Bennett as being, tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me.” He eventually eats his words when he begins to fall for her and isn’t shy in letting people know that he finds her attractive and he had made a mistake , “I've been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow"

4. He’s a man who doesn’t shy away from admitting his feelings, even if he doesn’t really get it right the first time;


"I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony."

5. Even when Elizabeth refuses him, and basically disses/spurns him, he still goes out of his way to help Elizabeth and her family look for her sister Lydia, who has eloped with a rather unsavoury character. He eventually tells Elizabeth, in one of the most romantic passages in the book, that he only helped out because he was still in love with her;

“You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you…If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love... I love... I love you. “

Okay, there are many more reasons I love Mr Darcy that I have left out, but at this rate I am seriously going to start paraphrasing the whole book!
Pick up a copy and find out why he has been voted the most popular male literary character by women everywhere!

*Do NOT watch the Bollywood version “Bride & Prejudice” or the other version with Kiera Knightly and her incessant pouting – bloody ridiculous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gotta love Mr Darcy...but have u ever thought that if you found your Mr Darcy whether he would go for a Lola Fandango??? lol love ya