Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Temptation Island

"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again. ~Korman's Law"

So its been like 2 or so weeks of vigilant fasting, not on my part really, but on the part of a couple of people I know. One particular friend deserves an honourable mention for going Vegan and sticking to it, she represents a small percentage of individuals at large who can avoid temptation at all costs…sadly I belong to the majority, the people who rely on the exit clause, “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”

“Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell. “ ~Anonymous

The use of the word “evil” conjures all sorts of dramatic things eg murder, infidelity, theft blah blah blah. When in actual fact, it’s the little “evils” that when counted up pack a pretty little punch! Take, for example, my usual daily resolutions to 1) Oh and wake up when my alarm clocks rings the first time round, and not 4 snooze bells later 2) Think kind thoughts about everyone who comes my way that day, 3) Avoid consuming cholesterol-inducing foods. Five minutes into the new day I would have broken the first resolution (no doubt), the drive in early morning traffic usually takes care of the second one, only to get to work and find out its another person’s birthday, meaning cake for everyone….which is resolution number three done away with.

"Most people want to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. "~Robert Orben

It so much easier to avoid yielding to the bigger more serious forms of temptation, but gosh darn it, it’s those little ones that I find a little harder to resist. I could argue that I’m more susceptible to such weaknesses given Eve’s antics in a certain garden, but that would be a rather sad cop-out. The sobering reality is that I’m sadly lacking in the self-discipline department…boo!

"Nothing makes it easier to resist temptation than a proper bringing-up, a sound set of values - and witnesses." ~Franklin P. Jones

6 comments:

lebogang said...

I hear you chicka.
I gave up bread for Lent. I haven't eaten a slice of bread since Ash Wednesday (and I so miss it), but I ate a fajita and pizza last night, so I'm not sure if I've actually been good or not. It's really hard...

Vimbai said...

This is what i'm talking about...where the heck do you guys get your self-discipline from?

I have an intense sense of awe for the likes of you.

Altho u might have slipped by the wayside there with your pizza & fajita...methinks its bread.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous
Hard things are put in our way, not to stop us, but to call out our courage and strength.

Anonymous said...

Charles H. Spurgeon
A high character might be produced, I suppose, by continued prosperity, but it has very seldom been the case. Adversity, however it may appear to be our foe, is our true friend; and, after a little acquaintance with it, we receive it as a precious thing -- the prophecy of a coming joy. It should be no ambition of ours to traverse a path without a thorn or stone.

Anonymous said...

Washington Irving
There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.

Vimbai said...

Umm, thanks for the quotes!