Monday, February 19, 2007

Today's Poet: Ogden Nash


A Drink With Something In It

There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--I think that perhaps it's the gin.

--------------------------------------

I Didn't Go To Church Today

I didn't go to church today,
I trust the Lord to understand.
The surf was swirling blue and white,
The children swirling on the sand.
He knows, He knows how brief my stay,
How brief this spell of summer weather,
He knows when I am said and done
We'll have plenty of time together.

----------------------------------

Introspective Reflection

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-----------------------------------

More About People

When people aren't asking questions
They're making suggestions
And when they're not doing one of those
They're either looking over your shoulder or stepping on your toes
And then as if that weren't enough to annoy you
They employ you.
Anybody at leisure
Incurs everybody's displeasure.
It seems to be very irking
To people at work to see other people not working,
So they tell you that work is wonderful medicine,
Just look at Firestone and Ford and Edison,
And they lecture you till they're out of breath or something
And then if you don't succumb they starve you to death or something.
All of which results in a nasty quirk:
That if you don't want to work
you have to work
to earn enough money
so that you won't have to work.
----------------------------------


----------------------------------

My Dream

This is my dream,
It is my own dream,
I dreamt it.
I dreamt that my hair was kempt.
Then I dreamt that my true love unkempt it.

----------------------------------------

Reflections On Ice Breaking

Candy
Is dandy
But liquor
Is quicker

-----------------------------------

The Romantic Age

This one is entering her teens,
Ripe for sentimental scenes,
Has picked a gangling unripe male,
Sees herself in bridal veil,
Presses lips and tosses head,
Declares she's not too young to wed,
Informs you pertly you forgetRomeo and Juliet.
Do not argue, do not shout;
Remind her how that one turned out.

------------------------------------------

What's The Use?

Sure, deck your limbs in pants,
Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
You look divine as you advance . . .
Have you seen yourself retreating?

4 comments:

lebogang said...

I like! Where in the world do you find these things, Miss Gwata? They're too cool! I especially love the "Reflections on Ice Breaking" one - I think it is absolutely true.

Vimbai said...

"Where do i find these things", ah Lebo, now that would be telling! What can i say, i scour the planet high and low in search for the bizarre!

PS: Check your inbox, i left you a lovely pressie!

Crashdummie said...

You wrote it? Wicked...
well your choice in poetry says alot abt you!

Cheers

Vimbai said...

Alas Crashdummie, i did not write those poems. Nope all the credit goes to Ogden Nash. But i hope i get brownie points for finding his collected works.

He is the adult version of Dr Seuss - FANTASTIC!