Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Monday, February 26, 2007
Fever: *cue singing* “When you put your arms around me; I get a fever that’s so hard to bear, you give me Fever”…sadly, it was not that kinda fever, but one of the flu-y/cold kind L
Classics: This weekend I took it back…waaaaaaaaaay back! I forsake all mainstream beats and got down to the soul grooves of The Supremes, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye & the like. Honestly, there are only so many times I can hear Akon & Snoop’s tribute to strippers everywhere.
Angels & Demons: Finally…finally, like on page 130 this book gets its act together & some sort of plot appears. It reads too much like The DaVinci code at the beginning but if you stick it out, it gets better. Dan Brown clearly lives by the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it philosophy when it comes to his book writing.
Fly-Fishing: I caught the last 30mins of the most riveting show on ESPN, it was the National Fly-Fishing Championships, honestly there’s a sport for everything these days. I found myself glued to the box in morbid fascination, was almost…almost inspired to round up the troops and suggest we do some fishing, watch this spot!
Early Morning Calls: A new society was formed over the weekend, they’re called P.A.V.S.I….People Against Vimbai Sleeping-In and i scorn every member! At the ungodly hour of 5am I got a call from a good friend who shall remain nameless, many things we going through my head; Somebody dead?, Somebody drunk?, Booty-call? (hey, you never know!)? Only to answer the call and have noone on the other end, turns out my number was dialled by mistake..mmmh. The next morning my lovely Ferret was the one to blame for waking me up at 3am… having had my REM cycle disturbed I then proceeded to have a long conversation with her at 7am.
Carling Cup: My boys won, yay! Go Chelsea! My man, Jose to all y’all, looked so damn hot and delectable (that’s the fever talking, lol). Now I’m not gonna lie, I have no clue about the off-side rule although it’s been explained to me many a time and I really have no desire to ever know it. Technically, I don’t even support a team…I support Jose Mourinho (stop your sneering), wherever he goes…I go! However, after watching the game i have a few questions;
- Why is it so acceptable for men to be touchy-feely with eachother when playing sport. I don't buy that "camaraderie" line for one second. All that ass slapping, robust embracing, crying...it's all very suspect!
- Is it mandatory that most professional soccer players should look like chiselled, Adonis type super models?
- Where do soccer players get their corn-rows done? Bloody nice!
Anticlimax: The cyclone was a flop, I am quite disappointed actually *pout* I wanted a thunderstorm with character, all I got where threatening clouds with sprinklings of rain…boo!
Chocolate Cake: Did you know eating too much chocolate cake can make you sick….really sick! My friends had the audacity to watch me scoff my face in silence then wag their fingers in a i-told-you-so manner when I was writhing in pain. One certain person (names omitted to protect the guilty) had the nerve to point out that Gluttony is one of the 7 Deadly Sins, ummm, thanks babe :-P
Reality Shows = Virtual Insanity: In my feverish state I caught up with my reality shows that I have a love-hate relationship with; Project Runway (I love), For Love & For Money (I hate)and MTV’s I want a Famous Famous (I abhor…more of this one later). Yup, whatever Lenten vows I had made regarding not watching TV for 40 days flew out of the window this weekend….the spirit is willing, but the flesh is oh-so weak!
Friday, February 23, 2007
This flamboyant character gets in later today to literally sweep me off my feet.
Tempestuous winds and torrential downpours are his way into a girl's heart...methinks he needs to rethink that strategy.
Flavio, Cyclone Flavio to the rest of ya'll, is here for the rest of the weekend meaning i am gonna put myself under mandatory bed-rest till he leaves.
Have a great weekend everybody!
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Monday, February 19, 2007
There is something about a Martini,
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--I think that perhaps it's the gin.
I Didn't Go To Church Today
I didn't go to church today,
I trust the Lord to understand.
The surf was swirling blue and white,
The children swirling on the sand.
He knows, He knows how brief my stay,
How brief this spell of summer weather,
He knows when I am said and done
We'll have plenty of time together.
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
When people aren't asking questions
This is my dream,
I dreamt that my hair was kempt.
Then I dreamt that my true love unkempt it.
Reflections On Ice Breaking
This one is entering her teens,
Has picked a gangling unripe male,
Sees herself in bridal veil,
Presses lips and tosses head,
Declares she's not too young to wed,
Informs you pertly you forgetRomeo and Juliet.
Do not argue, do not shout;
Remind her how that one turned out.
Sure, deck your limbs in pants,
You look divine as you advance . . .
Have you seen yourself retreating?
Thursday, February 15, 2007
So, here’s how it works:
1. Open your music library
01. Opening Credits: "Linger" - The Cranberries
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
My heart has made its mind up
And I'm afraid it's you.
Whatever you've got lined up,
My heart has made its mind up
And if you can't be signed up
This year, next year will do.
My heart has made its mind up
And I'm afraid it's you.
Mum, Dad, Tendayi,
Nyasha, Fungai, Star, Tate, Gugu, Nyasha S,
Chipo, Kumbi, Thabi, Lebo, Shingi, Lucky,
Gari N, Davidzo, Bianca, Chandler,
Jenny, Chiko, Nathaniel, Craig F, JK,
Vonai, Blessing, Theo, Michael, Memory,
Michele, Richard, Rumbi, Aleck, Odette,
Craig B, Lloyd, and Aviv,
I wish you a
day, week, month, year and
Love, Laughter & Lucidity
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
More like the Hallmark that stole Valentines. The day has been reduced to one cliche after the other. You know the drill...some soppy drivel scribbled hastily in a card, a box of sickly sweet chocolates, a teddy (what is up with that...do i look 5yrs old???) and of course, skimpy lingerie...more often than not taste-less and the wrong size.
This is of course, if you actually get something..hehehe.
Thus, Valentine's nemesis was born...lets call her Anti-Valentines. Climbing up the popularity charts and threatening to topple Valentines for good, Anti - Valentines is proving to be a strong contender amongst the masses. Here are a few anti-Valentines contributions guaranteed to put a smile on even the most cynical of you. Enjoy.
Monday, February 12, 2007
T -minus 2 days till D-day or should I say V-day and it appears one cannot stay immune to the hype! What is this thing called Love that works everyone into such a frenzy? Actually, what is this thing called Love...period?! Love in its many forms and guises has had many a song, sonnet and suicide written in its honour. Whether you are experiencing the first throes of Love, Unrequited Love, Lost Love or that one True Love, trust me, there's a song out there describing to the "T" what you are feeling or going through.
1. “Always” – Bon Jovi
2. “Closer” - Floetry
3. “L.O.V.E” – Nat King Cole
4. “If I aint got you” – Alicia Keyes
5. “Better Together” – Jack Johnson
6. “Body & Soul” – Anita Baker
7. “Look what you’ve done” – Jet
8. “Stay with you” – John Legend
9. “Head over feet” – Alanis Morisette
10. “Close to you” – Maxi Priest
11. “Too Lost” – Sugababes
12. “Warning Sign” - Coldplay
13. “Not Like Crazy” – Jill Scott
14. “Angel” – Robbie Williams
15. “The Reason” - Hoobastank
16. “You and Me” – Lifehouse
17. “Love of my Life” – Erykah Badu feat Common
18. “Butterflies” – Michael Jackson
19. “Truly, Madly, Deeply” – Savage Garden
20. “Ask of You” – Raphael Saadiq
21. “Iris” – Goo Goo Dolls
22. “Be without you” & “Share my world” – Mary J Blige
23. “With or without you” – U2
24. “He loves me (Lyzel in E Flat)” – Jill Scott
25. “Incomplete” – Backstreet Boys
26. “Thank you” - Dido
27. “He is” – Heather Headley
28. “The nearness of you” – Norah Jones
29. “End of the Road” – Boys II Men
30. “Sweet baby” – Macy Gray
31. “She will be loved” – Maroon 5
32. “Wow” - Brandy
33. “Superstar” – Floetry feat Common
34. “The Promise” – Tracy Chapman
35. “Love at first sight” – Kylie Minogue
36. “Enchantment” – Corinne Bailey Rae
37. “Come Rain, Come Shine” – Ella Fitzgerald
38. “Just Like Heaven” – Katie Melua
39. “ Melt away”, “ Emotions’, “Dream lover”, “My All”, “Always” & “We Belong Together – Mariah Carey (hard to pick just one)
40. “Green Eyes” – Coldplay
41. “I’ll have nothing” – Whitney Houston
42. “That’s the way love goes” –Janet Jackson
43. “Without you” – Lucy Pearl
44. “Sunshine" - Lupe Fiasco
45. “For my babies” – Simply Red
46. “So into you” – Tamia
47. “You where meant for me” - Jewel
48. “My Love” – Justin Timberlake
49. “Piece by Piece” – Katie Melua
50. “Come Closer” – Common feat Mary J Blige
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Therein lies the underlying phrase governing all living things…..PacMan included! To think it took a simple computer game to hit home the basic premise of life…of general existence! “Hunt or be the hunted”, “prey versus predator”, yes, survival is indeed for the fittest…not to mention the most adaptable, the speediest and ultimately, the one with a bit of foresight & a sure-fire strategy.
In the short time that I have grown to know them; Inkey, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde have taught me so much about life…and myself;
1. Never underestimate the speed of your opponent;
2. Always have a plan B….;
3. Conserve your energy sources for as long as possible;
4. Study and observe your opponent, Sun Tzu style;
5. Make a wrong move and you are most likely to be find;
6. Your rivals will exploit your weaknesses;
7. Clyde is grossly underestimated;
8. I am a very sore loser!...*pout*
9. I have a bit of an aggressive streak (read: John McEnroe has nothing on me); and have this relenting need to constantly better my score – it’s making for very sleepless nites!
10. I finally get the obsession with playing computer games, I am hardly a gamer, but I now get it….
Disclaimer: The writer of this blog will not be held accountable if said-reader takes up PacMan and too gets hooked!
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
“Hi everyone…my name’s Vimbai…and I’m a Sleepwalker”
In high school, as a boarder, a few incidents occurred, one notable incident involved me leaping out of my bed and professing to my dorm members that I was meeting my older sister for some swimming and bolting out of the dorm wrapped in my duvet (fire-drill style). Now this wouldn’t have been so distressing had it not been been a) 10pm at nite, b) Pissing with rain outside. Unfortunately I did not make it for my late nite swim as I "came too" while walking in the corridor, rather calmly I might add. Unlike some sleepwalkers, I tend to know what I’m doing…in a semi-conscious kinda way. This sleepwalking phenomena could also explain how I’ve sprained my ankles in my sleep over the past few years….stranger, and stranger.
So having experienced 2 such incidents in the last four weeks I was quite concerned and decided to do a bit of self-diagnosis using my trusty search engine pal, Google *cue robust trumpets tooting a victorious anthem*
According to Google, I suffer from sleepwalking because of one of the following reasons;
1) I am so over-tired that in deep REM I get restless and proceed to move around;
2) I have consumed copious amounts of alcohol before retiring for the evening(most likely perpetrator)
3) I am undergoing a life change that is either troubling me or perplexing me (ummmm, I know all about the Birds and Bees thank you very much)
4) I can’t help it, I’ve got happy feet :-).
I will make peace with my condition and pray it will disappear like a fart in the proverbial wind!
Thursday, February 01, 2007
It's the first of the month and i thought i'd see how i'm doing with my Not-So-New Year Resolutions...
1. Ummm, my swearing isn't getting any better or worse. I've down away with the whole "oh crumbs" phrase, i sound a little too much like Hugh Grant with that one.
2. I got me a spiffy diary where i do jot everything down and i feel i am getting more done, now i know what needs to be done and in what order.
3. Mmmmh, not so sure i'm not living in the present, definitely know that i've given up the past...that leaves me with the future...can one actually live in the future???
4. I was very good here, i threw all my very crap-why-is-it-still-in-my-room-and-how-could-i-have-bought-it books, all two very heavy boxes of it. There was a bit of an outcry amongst my girls, seems i'm not the only chick-lit junkie out there...make that ex-chick lit junkie. I'm somewhere in the middle of Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" but it reads too much like The DaVinci Code. I need another Terry Pratchett to get me through the month.
5. Exercise *nervous cough* Yah, well this one hasnt really gone anywhere...except yesterday, i did go and check out the local gym & their classes etc, so all that's left is to part with a bit of money and to actually go!
6. I am following through, then again, i haven't really committed myself to too many things so far :-)
7. Still stumped as to what my new skill will be, the possibilities are; Learn a new language (Japanese is pretty high on my list), Take up pole-dancing (can't find a pole, lol), cook something...*big sigh*, or knit another scarf that takes forever to finish (most likely)
I did good with my resolutions, 4/7 isn't bad. Now i should *cue Voltron theme song* Form my Blazing Sword and forge ahead!