Thursday, November 30, 2006
Thursday, November 23, 2006
Today people across the States are off from work (lucky buggers) and are celebrating Thanksgiving. Personally I wouldn’t endorse a day that in part celebrates how the pilgrims took advantage of the Native American Indians and basically moved them off their land (that’s a discussion for another day!)…it’s the other part that I support, the whole spirit of giving thanks for what is good in our lives, no matter how small.
One day of the year shouldn’t be dedicated to giving thanks, every day of the year should be (Lord knows, I could do with all the extra holiday time myself…lol)
So here is a list of things that I am thankful for;
1. My family, the craziest bunch of people hovering the planet with whom I share DNA with. Love them all, even when they do drive me up the wall, which happens often.
2. The Ladies of the Forum whom provide me with jokes, support when times are tough, interesting things to think about and just general skraalness!
3. Email & Internet; Two technologies that I abuse and would be lost with them. Email for letting me keep in touch with loved ones scattered across the globe and Internet for feeding my never-ending quench for knowledge and information.
4. Good health…taken for granted when you have it, sadly missed when you don’t.
5. Google search engine (refer to point 3)
6. Dessert….there is no comfort food quite like dessert, be it a big ole bowl of ice-cream, a huge slice of Black Forest Gateau or just some old fashioned apple crumble with custard!
7. Dusk; my favourite time of the day, when the sun is setting and life slows down a bit & lets you take it all in.
8. Music, my constant companion!. Music gets me up in the morning, music gets me through the day, she adapts and conforms to my many moods and at night, she puts me to sleep….
9. Ear buds…very random thing to be thankful for, but I am all the same.
10. Fast food; I’m no take-away junkie, but once in a while going out and ordering from the greasiest, artery-clogging fast food joint has to be done.
11. Rainy weather; it’s not only good for earth and all that jazz but symbolically represents some sort of ritual cleansing! Doesn’t everything look that much better after the rain.
12. Cellphones; sometimes intrusive and lets face it, we all don’t want to found all the time. But for practical reasons, they are just the niffiest gadgets on earth. Definitely up there with Email and the Net.
13. Kitty cats…I love these feline creatures, they are so graceful, so well put together, so independent. No matter how civil one is, make no mistake, these animals can never be fully tamed.
14. Reality shows; not only do they help pass the time, but I think they help display the not-so attractive qualities of human beings and make us realise as a people that we gotta do something about that!
15. Mmmmmmmh, I thankful for the time you’ve taken out to read this long, rather random list…and would be most thankful if you left a comment and told me what you are most thankful for J
Written by Vimbai on Thursday, November 23, 2006
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Dorothy Parker was a columnist/poet from back in the 50's, her witty lines and satirist rhymes are quite humourous. I don't remember how i came upon her, but i'm glad i did all the same. She's up there with Mae West!
Here are a few of her poems, enjoy!
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Remember the days of compiling "mixed tapes" for friends and potential love interests! Those where the days indeed, i still have one tape from a friend complete with handmade cover (she gets an A for effort for that) :-)
The following is my current playlist selection...kinda mellow, but the rain/thunder/lightning outside is a major contributor to the mood at the moment!
- Best i ever had - Vertical Horizon
- Sometimes - Erykah Badu
- What goes around - Justin Timberlake
- Sweet Love - Anita Baker
- Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Tony Bennett
- Believe in Me - Lenny Kravitz
- Candle in the Wind - Elton John
- Call me when you get this - Corrinne Bailey Rae
- Waiting in Vain - Floetry
- Never felt this way - Alicia Keys
- Whatever - Jill Scott
- Save Room - John Legend
- Body & Soul - Anita Baker
- For your babies - Simply Red
- I'm Ready - Tracy Chapman
- Back to You - John Mayer
- Warning Sign - Coldplay
- Saving all my love - Whitney Houston
- Stars - Simply Red
- You and Me - Lifehouse