Monday, October 23, 2006

The Good Die Young

This past weekend was marred by the death of someone i barely knew but whose death affected me anyway. This individual's death brought to memory the deaths of all those whom i've loved and lost over the years, especially those who were young and never got to live out their full potential.

As John Donne once said, "any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee...all mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated.

So i dedicate the following poem to all those who have gone before us;

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.


When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.
Mary Frye

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

U have no idea how much it affects me when you are sad! I have always wished that I could protect you from those kind of feelings - but I accept all I can do is be there for you when u need me.

Vimbai said...

That is really sweet...would help if i knew who you were tho?

Anonymous said...

its me the singing mosquito!