Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Langston Hughs Hour

Don't know how many peeps out there are actual fans of poetry, but a the risk of sounding contrived and cliched, poetry is amazing :-) I envy all those people that can put their thoughts on paper and basically capture what the rest of us are dying to say.

One of my favourite poets out there is Langston Hughes, an African American poet who was responsible for the Harlem Renaissance. His poems cover a huge range of emotions from humour to anger to just-downright-perceptiveness. I've decided to add a few of my favourite ones for you to share. Enjoy

Quiet Girl
I would liken you
To a night without stars
Were it not for your eyes.
I would liken you
To a sleep without dreams
Were it not for your songs.

Justice
That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we black are wise:
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were her eyes.

Still Here
I've been scared and battered.
My hopes the wind done scattered.
Snow has friz me,
Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done
Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'--
But I don't care!
I'm still here!

No comments: